+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tapping in Orange County

Default tapping in Orange County

Looked at the long range forcast and it looks good (if its correct) going to get my 75 taps in Monday thats about 18 days early for me. Orange County, Cornwall,NY Hope everyone has a great season!
    George (Now Retired Lineman ) Your next 5050!

Hi George,

I tapped Monday (1/25) afternoon over here in Pleasant Valley.

The forecast looked right and being my first try at this perhaps I'm over anxious.

Looks like by the time I collect today and tomorrow (during the boil) I'll have about 20 gallons.

9 taps (got shorted one spout in my order)

I put in 5 taps this morning, started running right away. It's snowing here now. Will put out my other 25 tomorrow maybe.
    2014 - 6 Taps (and some borrowed sap) - Barrel evaporator - 1 1/2 Gallons syrup
    2015 - 30 taps - block arch -7.5 gallons syrup
    2016 - 20 taps- fire bricked arch - 5 gallons syrup
    2017 - 20 Taps- still boiling outside - 5 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 30 Taps - Mason 2x4 XL inside Garage - 10 gal. syrup
    2019 - 2 Taps - Propane stove and pot - 1 pint syrup
    2020 - 4 Taps - Propane Stove and pot - 3 Pints syrup
    2021 - 6 Taps - Stove/Smokey Lake Star Cat evaporator - 8 Pints syrup

Tapped Yesterday.

George, curious how it been since you've tapped? I'm, curious what i missed. Work travel made earlier than yesterday impossible for me.

Glad to see a bunch of y'all got tapped early. I was really debating it. Tapped last week of Jan been busy since! Good season so far! Already have 5 gallons in hand and the last couple of days were mighty indeed - at least 80 gallons of sap in hand for boiling this weekend and probably at least a gallon a tap tomorrow if it warms and gets sunny like it says it will.
    ~40 Taps on Gravity + Boiler Muy Rustico = 10 Gallons Finished in a Good Year

How is everyone in Orange County doing this year? I'm setup in Blooming Grove. This is my first season; I have 15 gravity taps in and I've finished about 1.25 gallons. It ranges from gold (early stuff) to super dark (the sap collected on 3/10). The forecast looks promising towards the end of the week. Hope everyone is having a good season!

Hi Maverick, I'm over in Campbell Hall also in my first season. Just wondering what your using to boil (I'm using kitchen stove)

Quote Originally Posted by mastercat View Post
    Hi Maverick, I'm over in Campbell Hall also in my first season. Just wondering what your using to boil (I'm using kitchen stove)
    I started on my stovetop too when I only had 8 taps in. When I expanded to 20 taps, my sap yield was getting to be too large to manage a boil on the stove. I then purchased a 20 gallon stock pot from my local Restaurant Depot and use my 200,000 BTU Gas One turkey fryer base. It was much faster to boil more sap. I finished the season with 2.75 gallons of the greatest syrup on the planet! How did you do?

Just put out a few more taps today! Several of the taps I put out in February have dried up or really slowed. S
    o, with this weather, I might as well keep boiling!

Keep boiling as long as the wood holds out! (unless you are on propane)

I'm over last years totals, and it looks like we still have a ways to go. Just hope I can hold out to the end.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

+ Reply to Thread