+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Started tapping.

Hybrid View

Default Started tapping.

Put out 30 buckets along the road. At noon only a few trees were running. This afternoon I'll put on the snowshoes and get started on the tubing.

How did the sap run yesterday? What did I miss?

With the weather forcast I probably won't boil for a while but I'd like to be ready.

I can't wait!
    2x6 Lightning.
    450 taps on tubing. 20+ buckets.
    14 x 22 Post and Beam Sugarhouse.
    125 GPH Springtech Mini Elite R/O
    Member: International Springtech Mini Elite Owners Club. Serial # R6954

Here's a big THANKS to my "tree owning" neighbors.

And yes.....we too.....have a bunch of chickens.
    Correction... they went on strike..so the chickens are now gone.

No...that's not true. We got some more chickens and sure enough...they are NOT laying.
    We never learn.

vermontkyle Guest

Default Sap

Ran a bit yesterday. I have only hung a few buckets so far-my ones in the sun gave me about an inch. Weather forecast doesn't look good for a few days--I'm with you on being ready though-it might be short and fast.
    -Kyle

I often miss a run or two because I waited and then wasn't available to tap.

I wonder just how early you can tap (ie: before the sap has really started to run.) without having your tap holes dry up prematurely.

You should've seen me out there today. On my snowshoes. Tugging on snowcovered lines with snow covered limbs holding them down. I have this little ladder that I use for the taps that have to be high because of the tubing. I leave one snowshoe on and let that leg hang. I tried climbing the ladder with two snowshoes on (what can I say, I had to try it.) My wife had to help me down. After the first hole I drilled with the 5/16 bit, while walking to the next tree. The bit fell out. After about 5 very long minutes I spotted the pencil sized hole where the bit was hiding. Me smart enough to have a spare? Not on your life. And it's a long snowshoe back to the house. Couple that with my leaving the dewalt back at the last tree and all the other sillyness I inflict on myself makes for a tiring day. Just about the time I get into the flow of the whole thing, the job is done till next year. Wish we could sugar year round though, I might then get it down.
    2x6 Lightning.
    450 taps on tubing. 20+ buckets.
    14 x 22 Post and Beam Sugarhouse.
    125 GPH Springtech Mini Elite R/O
    Member: International Springtech Mini Elite Owners Club. Serial # R6954

Here's a big THANKS to my "tree owning" neighbors.

And yes.....we too.....have a bunch of chickens.
    Correction... they went on strike..so the chickens are now gone.

No...that's not true. We got some more chickens and sure enough...they are NOT laying.
    We never learn.

vermontkyle Guest

Default Yup

Sounds like a typical day tapping. Can't believe you found your bit. We are going at it tomorrow hard. Should be interesting with the snow. We tap a lot of roadside trees but will be hanging some lines tomorrow. Might run a bit but the weather looks bad for a few days.
    Ladders a good idea for the most part.
    Thats Ok-I have to be away for work next weekend so maybe I wont miss much.

+ Reply to Thread