+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: February Run?

Default We'll be ready for the next run!

We are tapping next week and will be ready for the next run (hopefully). I am going to replace 100 taps and drops at the suggestion of our "maple mentor". I have vacation next week, so it will be a perfect time to do maple syruping!
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

I am also strongly considering tapping next week, though that could change if the forecast changes. If the season starts slow I'll add some taps while I wait.
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

Looks like a couple good day's next week, and one night according to the graph on weather underground. But this is the same graph that yest. said an 8 - 12 inch storm Tuesday downgraded to 1-3 inch's. Bet that changes too

I do believe the season has started slightly-no major losses- but I think starting this week get ready. ill be tapping by wensday for sure. don't be surprised if the 34-36 degrees days(less wind more sun) will produce, heck it was 34 and sun yesterday and got 1/4 gal on test tree. I believe with limited frost the water uptake for the tree will be reaily available. however after this cold snap it will take probably 2 days for anything to happen, hence why ill be drilling no later than wensday. looks like a couple cold swings in late feb. if plays out should be good season
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

I will finish bricking my arch this weekend and I think I will tap Sunday. Looks like next week we will have a few days warming up and the following week looks even better. According to accuweather things may change. So, if you tap and we get a long stretch of cold weather. Holes freeze up, will it still be fine come March?

I think you will have to ask the Maple Tree God's for that answer Smrdc1974. Your actions will be a response to the conditions of what's happening, or isn't happening. I myself have had to walk my lines and pull taps, give a quick ream, and move on. Some tree's were fine. Now I only have 72 taps, others have way more than that . It's been a crazy year and getting crazier. Two good day's coming and like you said warming next week. Nice !!

Default We tapped about 75 trees on Wednesday.

We got about 75 of the trees tapped on Wednesday. We also fixed up a lot of taps and drops. We put in at least 30 new taps and drops. I think it will make a big difference since it's the most productive part of the woods.
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12