+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapped 1/23/2016

Default Tapped 1/23/2016

I felt like it was a bit early, but with 7 of the next 10 days having temps above freezing I figured I better get something going. Put in 15 taps on Saturday. The trees were not running and I didn't even end up with a gallon over the weekend. I did manage to get all my equipment prepped though. I'll keep everyone posted on run and reserve the remainder of my taps for a little bit later.

The last 2 years I started on the same day, March 7th. I may start late Feb. if weather looks favorable. I added about 25 taps this year, for a total of 65. I am blessed with steep slope to put all my taps on 3/16 tubing, it works well . Tree rats need to be thinned out, as they chewed up a section from last year. Also added a pan from Stainlesssteelcreations. Good luck everyone

Temperature reached 40 degrees yesterday. The trees did not start to run until the rain started in the early evening. They ran until about 9:30. Ended up with about 2.5 gallons of sap. Hopefully we get more run later in the week so that I can boil.

Smile Maple syrup

Put in 7 taps on Tus the 27th some were running yesterday more this weekend I hope. 50 miles southwest of Chicago

I'm expecting to tap in a few weeks. The earliest I've tapped so far is Feb. 13th (2011). I usually tap the last week of Feb. or the first week of March.

wilos1, I notice we're in the same town. I'm surprised we haven't crossed paths yet. I'm next to Messenger Woods.

Sapster, don't feel left out. I have only collected around 3 gallons of sap. The conditions were perfect over the weekend, but the sap just didn't seem to be flowing here. Today it is running a little bit better, but I have yet to collect for the day. I am also pretty close to Messenger Woods, in the neighborhood just off of Bruce and Cedar. Have 19 trees on the property to tap.

On Monday 2-1 I gathered about 30 gals of sap and another 20 gals this am it has been running steady but with no sun today it slowed up. 1 mile east of Joliet.

old tom

It looks like you are in the neighborhood too (New Lenox?)! wilos1 and I are in the vicinity of 167th, Cedar Rd., and Bruce Rd. There are lots of sugar maples in the area. Thousands in Messenger Woods, but unfortunately they can't be tapped since they are on Forest Preserve property. In fact, the Forest Preserve cut many of them down a couple of years ago to keep from overtaking the oaks. It was heartbreaking to see.

Over the weekend I had the best runs that I have seen since tapping, but still not all that impressive. I have 7 gallons to boil this morning, to bad the temperatures appear to be plunging for the remainder of the week.

Managed to get up(rebuild) all my lines this past weekend and got a couple of them tapped on Sunday. Planning to tap the rest this weekend for next weeks thaw. Dogwatch, I lost three lines to those pesky squirrels as well. Ended up rebuilding all those laterals with 3/16ths line. I'm now close to 1/3 of my taps on 3/16th now. Plan on changing out the rest as the tubing gets older and needs replaced.

Hoping for a good season this year. Wish I would have been ready for the last thaw but I just didn't get it together in time. Hope everyone has a good season!!
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    Wood Fired 2X6 with piggy back
    Great family & friends to help
    One expensive hobby!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast