+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making Homemade Arch

Here's the oil drum evaporator I made last year. The flue pan is 2.5' x 3' and the finish pan is 2.5' x 2'. I made the flues 8.5" deep and there are 6 of them which makes almost 36 sq ft of surface area. it holds about 45 gallons at the level I have it set for which is about 3" in the finish pan. I am able to get a real hard boil going using pine for wood. I bought a 4' metal break to make all the bends and I have a tig welder to weld it all up. I didn't end up getting enough sap to really test it out last year but I hope to boil today and should be able to get some good numbers on boiling rate. last year I didn't have any fire brick so I use old patio bricks which work ok, this year I bought fire brick at tractor supply for less than $2 per brick and I also bought some rigid boards from Bascom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry, I have been absent. Forgot my username. We bought the pan and warming pan off of the classifieds on here. Ended up using the ceramic blanket and firebrick with ceramic rail gasket. Boiled this weekend and worked like a charm. Boil rate tough to measure, quite a bit of sap was frozen. I will add pics asap.. don't give up on the rookies.

The way you built your cooker is pretty much identical to ours. Our pan is a flat continuous flow pan with a stock pot like pan for a warmer. We have it under a carport that has the back and half the sides enclosed. Drips a bit but keeps the temp up.

Angle Iron was welded around the whole top with a cross piece that separate the evap and the warmer pan. On the side where you see the slots a bit is the ramp weld.

Boy, that's quite a beauty!

I just got ahold of a tank, and am following this thread closely. I mentioned to one of the guys at my club that I know nothing about welding. He chuckled, and then told me he is a retired welder

Let me know as you go. I will send any help I can. I can't think of anything with ours I would change. Our stack temp gets to 600. Have you ever visited the sugar bush store in mason? I recommend getting a shopping list and going there.
    Latitude:N 41° 54' 56.4415"
    Longitude:W 84° 17' 6.4561"

sold barrel cooker
    bought 2 mason 2x4
    adding Vacuum
    Adding RO, running Lines 5/16 and 3/16, jumping to close to 200 taps, making sticky..

2017, attempting to add float box and bunch more
    taps and run a few lines.

2016 rookie season. 70 taps, Kubota tractor, 55 gallon
    Barrel and funnel for collection.
    wood fired oil drum cooker.
    2x3 evaporator pan w/18" Sq pre-warming pan.
    3 sided carport sugar shack.

Here is my rig. I built it over the fall. New pans next year for it. Boils like all he'll and gets through the sap quickly.

Guns n' Hose Sugarhouse
    Ian and Samanatha MacMillan
    Wakefield, NH

Facebook

2015 - 15 buckets, 2 bags and 5 on 5/16 gravity. Made about 1 gal of maple and a whole lotta learning points. Currently working on birch and building the sugarhouse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12