+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Check valve credibility?

Quote Originally Posted by madmapler View Post
    I wonder also about possibly changing a section of the drop yearly say 10 or 15". Would this be sufficient to serve as a new drop if done yearly?
    I believe Theron made extensions for his drops with hook connectors. Also many companies are now selling pre drops with no fittings I think Lapierre 30" are like .18 each cheaper than if you by the roll (even on sale) and make them yourself.
    Jared

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by madmapler View Post
    ... I don't think I'd mind making up drops in my down time as I know some others do. I personally would reuse the tee. Using semirigid exclusively, I don't find any leaks around my fittings unless its been otherwise damaged...
    That time you spend is worth something. You could be doing something else to make money if you weren't making drops, so either way, it is always considered a cost in ANY type of economic analysis.

As far as re-using the tee, I know that some people try. The issue is that as your vacuum gets really high, those fittings tend to have a higher probability of leaking, so you either spend time looking for those microleaks, or your vacuum suffers. We've found, and I think may others who get real high vacuum have as well, that cutting out the tee is the best approach due to the time savings and due to the microleaks issue. Otherwise you spend time and money going back and looking for those leaks, which costs you money in the long-run.

Jared mentioned pre-cut tubing for drops. Yes, that is a possibility, but you still have to spend the time putting on the fittings and bringing them out in the field and replacing them. I do agree though, that IF you can get the drop cost down really low (including the time required to make them and deploy them), that it would produce the highest sap yields and perhaps a good net return. That is really only a possibility for those who can get the cost (again, including time/labor) down really low and if they also get really high production (due to good trees, good sanitation, and good vacuum). I don't think we're at that point yet.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

ennis, yes some have to pull yourself up!! nice at times- your slope scenario makes good sense. I also notice sloped runs the laterals seem to stay much cleaner- less darkening of mildew etc. which would probably mimick trees microbal level. so maybe this counteracts their use

Dr tim?
    any idea if amount of microbe activity/ residue affect to any extent how well the tree heels or slow healing down? have some older trees 18'' + on 3 year old spouts, used larger 7/16ones which converting this year but they don't seem like they heal well- the first year anyways, second to third year holes look ok. would assume a bad spot in tree also would cause this, which some are probably iffy inside, maybe hollow in a couple
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

spud- yes would be good to hear your info, I have 3 different spouts this year very similar bushes, im going to pay very close attention this year. but I need to quit changing things in woods and adding few here and there, that has made a comparison hard for me
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

Quote Originally Posted by blissville maples View Post
    any idea if amount of microbe activity/ residue affect to any extent how well the tree heels or slow healing down? have some older trees 18'' + on 3 year old spouts, used larger 7/16ones which converting this year but they don't seem like they heal well- the first year anyways, second to third year holes look ok. would assume a bad spot in tree also would cause this, which some are probably iffy inside, maybe hollow in a couple
    By the end of the season there are plenty of microbes in the taphole to elicit the wound response. Closure of tapholes occurs via growth from the outer edges inward. It definitely takes longer for a 7/16" taphole to close. They'll probably close a lot better with 5/16" holes. Might be that you hit an area of the tree that wasn't doing real well due to high tapping intensity or some other stress though. Change over to 5/16" spouts on those trees and keep an eye on it.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

does the hole grow together on the inside below the cambium layer?? it doesn't stay hollow does it? I started tapping here 4 years ago, I think got hit bad ice storm 98'. I know many have bad culls and some are hollow so hitting bad Area is very possible and kinda what im thinking. funny I was up there and one tree was dead on one side and there was around a dozen of those, I guess their called "ichneumon" wasp, daggers sticking out of tree. I knew what they were b/c ive seen a few of them and remember reaing about them, they hatch in trees!! freaky looking wasp!

while on subject of wounding, I have many 4-8 inch maples on edge of my meadow, im going to tap some using 5/32 adapters. im assuming a 1/2 or 3/4 inch hole would not hurt a tree this size. seems to me tapping smaller trees would not hurt them since they are so robust and would only drill in a proportionate distance relative to the diameter. whats your thoughts on this??
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

Quote Originally Posted by blissville maples View Post
    does the hole grow together on the inside below the cambium layer?? it doesn't stay hollow does it?
    These are different topics altogether, so I'll start a different thread over here.
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...711#post290711
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 01-19-2016 at 08:14 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Heres my 2 cents on the cv taps, they are absolutely a necessity. I have 1000 taps with gravity and I wouldn't be without them. they make an unbelievable difference. don't out-think this

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234