+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Central Ohio

newman I think I am also going to pull the trigger and tap this weekend. With using the check valve taps I don't think I will loose to much on the back end of the season maybe a week if that. The two guys I have been talking too both made boarder line light to medium syrup. So I think the season has started here in central Ohio.

They are talking about a major snow storm (possibly) coming through here this weekend so I will play it by ear. I put bags on the rings today and will keep getting my tapping supplies ready. Forecasts vary from 1" to 12" so they basically have no clue yet. The snow won't bother me tapping the home trees as long as it is warm enough.
    2' x 6' / Kawasaki Mule 610/twin 35 gal. tanks
    Arctic Cat TRV 650/Trailer w/ 60 gal. tank & 5 gal. jugs
    In the foothills of Appalachia
    http://www.facebook.com/newmanmaple

next week behind this storm looks good though as far as temps. i'm so far behindwhile building a cabin to move into we don't even have the tank cleaned out yet, and still repairing squirrel damage on the tubing. If I don't have to go out of town for work this week I'll be repairing lines and trying to tap in a week or two.
    SevenCreeksSap
    About 80 taps and a sapsucker.
    A wife who doesn't shop and lets me buy Maple stuff

I'm planning to tap Wednesday/Thursday of this coming week. The temperature forecast looks really good starting next week. It'll probably change after I get everything tapped, but I think there's a good possibility the season with be over the 2nd week in March.
    Leader 1/2 pint - Kawasaki Mule - Smoky Lake Filter Bottler
    24 GPH RO, 2 1/2 x 40 NF3 (NF270), 140 GPH (Brass with no relief valve ) ProCon pump
    2013 - 44 taps - 16 gallons syrup, 2014 - 109 taps - 26 gallons syrup
    2015 - 71 taps - 13.5 gallons syrup, 2016 - 125 taps - 24.25 gallons syrup
    2017 - 129 taps - 17.5 gallons syrup, 2018 - 128 taps- 18 gallons syrup
    2019 -130 taps - 18.5 gallons syrup, 2020 ~125 taps-19.75 gallons syrup

Bit the bullet and went ahead tapped today, had a few soft maples weep. All total 500 taps, forecast looks like it might be a good week. Will keep everyone posted.

I think I might tap mid week. Weather looks good for while.

well..... I had planned on tapping this weekend, but a foot of snow has changed my plans somewhat. My tractor just does not manuever the hillsides so good in that much snow. So I'll wait until mid to late week. I think it will be ready to rock and roll from there

Well all taps are out, have a small trickle into the tank. Tried vacuum but could not get it to build., time to track down leaks. fun fun. But on the bright side I'm tapped and didn't have to wade through the snow to do it. Hope to get to sweeten the pans tomorrow evening.

I got 66 taps out today around the house. I need to get started on the 90 or so I will tap on my parent's farm next door. I hope to get them out by the weekend. Some were dripping, but they should wake up tomorrow. Let the fun begin!
    2' x 6' / Kawasaki Mule 610/twin 35 gal. tanks
    Arctic Cat TRV 650/Trailer w/ 60 gal. tank & 5 gal. jugs
    In the foothills of Appalachia
    http://www.facebook.com/newmanmaple

Just finished first boil of the season, 200 gals. 2.5% not a good flow for vacuum and 450 taps, but at least I sweeten the pan. Hope it flows better tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast