+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulster County Catskills

I boiled my sap tanks dry last night due to the warm temperatures. Now I'll rinse everything out and get ready for the next batch. I have about 8 gals to finish.

The wind has arrived today, bringing the colder weather. I hope to take a day or two off from boiling, as at these temps, the sap is not apt to spoil. I hope my vacuum parts get here today or tomorrow. My collections are down by 1/3 to 1/2 as a result of no vac on the local trees.

Did you every drive a truck with 110 gals of sap in an IBC on the back? My weight limit is about 150 gals, but I don't think I'd want to go over 125. Sloshing sap is not your friend. I'd like to have that tank on a low utility trailer.

I like it when you're at a stop and the entire truck is swaying due to the sap in the barrels sloshing around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghs57 View Post
    I boiled my sap tanks dry last night due to the warm temperatures. Now I'll rinse everything out and get ready for the next batch. I have about 8 gals to finish.

The wind has arrived today, bringing the colder weather. I hope to take a day or two off from boiling, as at these temps, the sap is not apt to spoil. I hope my vacuum parts get here today or tomorrow. My collections are down by 1/3 to 1/2 as a result of no vac on the local trees.

Did you every drive a truck with 110 gals of sap in an IBC on the back? My weight limit is about 150 gals, but I don't think I'd want to go over 125. Sloshing sap is not your friend. I'd like to have that tank on a low utility trailer.
    100-110 buckets
    Leader 7.5" 3 Bank filter press (2023)
    RO Bucket RB10 (2017) upgraded to RB20 (2020)
    Homemade oil tank arch
    Homemade stainless pans
    12x16 Sugar Shack (new 2020)

Quote Originally Posted by antelope76 View Post
    I like it when you're at a stop and the entire truck is swaying due to the sap in the barrels sloshing around.
    Sure makes things interesting.

I used to haul in a 55 gal drum. It was usually full (and weighed less overall) so there was little sloshing. I never felt it.

Default Sugar Content

Anyone checking their sugar content? There are many reports of low sugar. I have not measured mine, but it seems about normal for me - 1.80%.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

I'm pretty good at breaking hydrometers so I haven't checked my sap sugar yet this season. I'm heading to shaver hill tomorrow in the AM to get bottles, a new sap hydrometer, and a few other things. Do you need me to pick anything up to save you a trip?
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."
    -Henry David Thoreau

I didn't see this until now. I'm not familiar with them. I am looking for some bulk containers, maybe 2.5 gal or so. Don't know if they would have anything like that.

You probably missed him when that man says AM he usually means 5am that guy is always on the go!
    george

Quote Originally Posted by georgelineman View Post
    You probably missed him when that man says AM he usually means 5am that guy is always on the go!
    george
    I know you are right.

All froze up today, and windy, windy, windy. And more wind. Then some more wind...so inside bottling.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Trees just don't want to run yesterday or today. Vac is back up and running since yesterday , but very little moving. 3/16 is barely moving also. I expected to be boiling all day, but no sap. Got slush in the evaporator though. May light a fire to warm things up a little.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast