+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Ulster County Catskills

I haven't had time to tally up the season, but I think I produced the same quantity as last year, or about 40 gals. The vast majority of this coming in three weeks in March. With such a late start for the season, I did not think it possible to match last year's totals. I'm sure I could have added another 10 gals if I ran another week. We had the weather for it, but I had commitments I could not postpose. I will have some final numbers soon.

Wow, 2020 already.

Lots of work to do here. I had big plans last year which did not materialize, but I did get the electrical service (50 amp) into the maple barn. No concrete floor, or expansion of the building. The arch needs some repairs (broken fire bricking). I do have a new service truck (2007 Tacoma) and plans to buy a filter press. I'm tired of flat filtering, and the mediocre results.

I've no plans to tap before February 15, but we shall see how the weather goes.
    Last edited by Ghs57; 01-06-2020 at 11:16 AM.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Beautiful day to start the season. Tapped and running.

Yes it was, but I'm holding out for another week to 10 days. My arch is apart for repairs, and I will be out of town for a few days. I should be ready to run around the 15th.

My arch firebox needs a rebuild. May delay my start a bit. I'm going to cast new sides for the box as the firebrick does not seem to hold up well, mainly from chucking in the wood while the air is running. It's plenty hot in there, so I don't dawdle.

Ghs57
    Is that your Maple Syrup sign posted along Sawkill Road near Morey Hill Road ??

Quote Originally Posted by RUSTYBUCKET View Post
    Ghs57
    Is that your Maple Syrup sign posted along Sawkill Road near Morey Hill Road ??
    Yes it is. I will have a new sign after the season which looks like my avatar.

Fired everything up last Friday. Processed around 300 gals in what seemed like no time. I ran the pan quite deep, so there was no draw off until the very end, but it was a bit light. I'll add it back to the pan on the next boil. No sap since then. Still have about 40 taps to go today.

I've never seen sap run like it has these past few days. Even my 275 IBC tote on 100 taps overflowed. ROing now for today's boil.

A week ago I had the fire brick and insulation fall down around the door opening of the arch. This section seemed firm when I was working on the fire brick in the back, but I should have redone it then anyway. After a quick repair, which hopefully will last the rest of the season, I was ready to go again. I'll have to make some decisions about what to do with this arch in the off-season. That will coincide with my expansion plans for the shack, which will involve moving the arch into the new section. So, a thorough rebuild will be in order. That, or a new higher efficiency arch may be in the works.

Hope the forecast holds for the coming week. Could be a good one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast