+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Ulster County Catskills

I've been getting a decent run over the past 24 hours. Hope it holds up for a few more hundred gallons. The forecast for next week shows no extreme highs (chance of 60 on Tuesday) and a potential freeze midweek. I'm going to stick it out and hope to make my goal. Had a great boil on Wednesday, and will see if I have enough for one tomorrow after I collect from the remote tank. I will also be test boiling for off flavors, but so far there are none. Crystal clear sap.

Currently I'm 60 gals of sap short of last years total. We may see a freeze midweek and on the weekend, so it's quite possible this will be collected this week. The latest sap was clear and tasted fine, and the steam smelled sweet not funky. From here on out I will be test boiling anything going into the evaporator. My old log shows that I was done last year at this time. In 2014 and 2015, conditions were good into the first week in April.

After many delays, I finally got the preheater plumbed in. Sap was going in at about 40 and coming out steaming. It was hard to get a measurement on the heated sap. I got readings everywhere from 125 to 160. For now, i'm happy with the 100 degree increase in the sap temperature. The condensation draining from the hood quadrupled as the steam condensed out on the colder copper tubing and ran down the drain channels. This condensation was too hot to put your hands in, but it is sure nice to have hot water in the shack for cleaning up.

The evaporator grates may not survive another boil. I will be casting a refractory grate after the season, so I'm using whatever I can find for now. Most can not survive the heat for more than one running.

My road sign fell down in the blizzard (Ive lost count of the number of times it's fallen). The new sign is in the works, and will be painted by the person that did the artwork on my label. Hopefully, looking the same as the tree in my profile picture. I may have to fix the old one again in the mean time.

I only collected 100 gals over the past four days, so I'm calling it a season. I just finished boiling that down, and now have about 15 gals to bottle, including the concentrate in the pan. I'll leave the taps in until I have enough sour sap to soak the pan for the next two or three months.

When this is all finished I'll have my final stats for the season. It looks like I matched last year's syrup production almost to the pint based upon my estimates, but we shall see.

This was a tough year, and I heard more than once how far down production was locally. I had more taps in than last year (although short of my goal), and feel pretty good about matching those totals.

I hope all you locals faired well this year, and would like to leave an update with your results.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

The results are in on the 2017 season.

Maximum number of taps was 126, but not for the entire season.
    Gal of sap collected: 1,232
    Gals of syrup produced: 25.5 bottled - not counting loss to spillage and the **** filters.
    Avg Sugar content: 1.80 - About the same as prior years
    Tapped in: 2/18
    Tapped out: 3/31
    Length of season: 42 days

Syrup mostly very dark with a little dark at the beginning.

Installed the steam hood, and at the very end, the preheater. Both worked well. Lost the vacuum on 5/16 for one run in late February. In the off season I will be rebuilding the arch fire box, continuing the finish work on the shack, and finding a better way to move firewood to the arch. Will also be looking at a filter press, and a homebuilt RO system. It's very easy to spend money on maple equipment.

Expansion plans for 2018!
    Last edited by Ghs57; 04-07-2017 at 09:58 PM.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Happy 2018 maple sap farmers!

I hear some of us are tapped in already. I'm nowhere near ready, as usual. I've no plans to tap before Feb 15 or so, and we'll see how that works out. But, I'm looking forward to the season, and following everyone's daily adventures, problems and successes.

Good luck to all on a successful season.

Things are looking good for the start of my season. But there are a few hang-ups.

I'm casting a new bottom grate for the evaporator based on the UVM combustion document. Last year I melted every metal grate I put in there. I ordered castable refractory, but one bag is not enough for a 3 inch grate, so now waiting on another bag. The combustion chamber took a beating last year, and now there are many loose fire bricks, so I'll be repairing those also. The plan for the offseason was to enlarge the chamber, but you know how that goes.

I'm switching to all 3/16 lines this year, vertical drop or not. All new drops because the priors are 3 seasons old. No new equipment this year, but hopefully a little smarter this go around. It's a patch up and run what ya got year for me.

Should be tapped in by the weekend, and up and running next week if all goes well.

I running behind schedule due do some major electrical work on the house and installation of a PV solar system. The contractor moved me up a good two weeks. So, no time to get ready or get out and run lines. Casting my new evaporator grate today, but still need to do the reconstruction work on the evap. Then put everything back together. I may be able to get out later today and run a few lines. Forecast is for a warmup early this week, but I will probably miss this run.

I was able to get a small number of taps in on Wednesday. Running like mad. The drum was overflowing when I got to it late yesterday, so I may have lost and equal amount. I had other commitments yesterday, so only had time to clean up some equipment.

The two lines in are on 3/16 and are pulling 26+ inches on the vacuum gage. Absolutely amazing. And the weather forecast looks very good for the next 10 days. I plan to have all taps in this weekend.

The casting of the new evaporator grate went very well. The grate is out of the form and awaiting installation. At 21x18x3, it weighs about 70 pounds, and I need help to put it in place. Going to be a tight fit.

Somewhere around 50 taps in. Even running is this rain/snow today.

Lots of "Posted" signs in the woods behind my house. They saw my tubing last year. Tapping has never been a problem, but I am reluctant to cross the line. I don't know the new owner. Time to look elsewhere. Luckily, I can expend on my remote bush, but that may not match my local production (75 taps).

We lost two patchs of woods to new owners this year too. Not too big a deal, as one lot has the potential for hundreds more taps than we have out. About 75% of our taps are on other people's land. They all are happy to let us goof off on their land tho! All our buckets are hanging now.
    Scrap pile built 2.5 by 8, induced draft, preheater, separate finishing pan
    brick sap house

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast