+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/16 presentation at Verona by Tim Wilmott

Default 3/16 presentation at Verona by Tim Wilmott

I had intended to get to Tim Wilmott's presentation yesterday, but I missed it. I had 2 questions I was going to ask.
    1. Since you want 30' of drop for max. vacuum, how low on a slope is it suggested to stop tapping on a 3/16 line?
    2. I've seen suggestions that 37 taps on a 3/16 lateral with proper slope is still good, is that considered the max?
    Did anyone here make it to Tim Wilmott's presentation and did he address either of these questions?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Dave,

I attended it. I'm not sure I follow you on question one. I'm guessing it would depend on your slope and where your collection point is. Will you have enough distance from the last tree to the collection point?

Tim said his maximum # of taps was 37 on a line and had good results. He didn't recommend doing that if it can be avoided. He said shorter lines are easier to observe and manage.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

I attended that presentation and I wanted to ask him if I tapped trees in the last 30 feet of drop would it affect the vacuum on the top taps. I know the taps on the last 30 feet of drop will have less vacuum, but will that affect the taps before the last 30 feet. We did not tap those trees in the last 30 feet of drop last year, but it would make it easier if we could. I believe that they recommend about 20-25 taps as a maximum on a 3/16 line.

My understanding is the lower trees will still benefit from 3/16 ..88inches of vacuum/1'of drop. Tapping the lower trees will not affect the vacuum on the upper trees unless you have a leak on the lower trees. I'm not sure if it was Tim Wilmott's or Steve Child's presentation but they should the vacuum achieved with a hybrid system. All the taps were 25 inches or better.Can't wait to see my new bush on 3/16 run.
    Sudzy's Purely Maple 2011 125 on vac 200 buckets 30x8 lapierre raised flue 12x20 shanty with 12x32 addition with 9x12 tank room tanks 500g 600g 300g
    [

url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sudzys-Purely-Maple/366440096710159

https://youtu.be/cK7V6VG2B_k

I cant wait either, I installed gauges on every run , it will be interesting to see if there is a difference between lines.
    2011 2x6 leader and 125 taps and 30 buckets
    2012 another 200 taps on line and an addition to the sugar house
    2013 hoping to hit 400 taps on line and 25 buckets and adding a sap Guzzler
    2014 Brand new D&G 3x10 traditional evaporator and going to 450
    2015 D&G 3x10 and kicking the door on 500 on line
    My wife Marci who puts up with me buying "Maple Stuff"
    1 65 yr old father inlaw who is priceless
    And the good Lord above Amen
    Lakeview Blueberries/Maple Syrup on Facebook

I installed 2000' of 3/16 so far. As I did, I stopped tapping on each lateral as I got to a guessed at 30 in elevation above the main. Others have said they kept tapping down to the last tree before the main. I put those between the 30' mark and the main on separate 5/16 lines and the mains have 17-19" of vacuum. I am also putting gauges on each line and some will have gauges closer to the main so I can better evaluate what is happening as well as gauges on the end of each main..
    I bought 2000' more 3/16 at Verona and will be installing it this week. That may finish the section where I have enough drop to effectively use the 3/16 vacuum boost to my medium vacuum system.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Tim explained/showed that in a hybrid system 6 feet of drop would provide 3 to 4 inches of additional vacuum. A tree that is 6 feet above your main would then have over 20 inches of total vacuum. Another strategy is to connect the trees closest to the mainline with 3/16 and have those in a lateral that parallels the main to get more fall before entering the main. It appeared to me that it was going to be worth using 3/16 for almost all laterals, even a foot of fall would gain a half inch in vacuum. I think that as I have to replace laterals due to damage etc, I will begin using 3/16

+ Reply to Thread