+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: south east virginia

the best idea i've ever seen, if you are using pot, is using old rims and weld them together and put the big pan on top. If you can find old metal 18 or 22 it would work real good.

!/4 cup of sap in 3 bucket so far

It's 9 degrees here, everything is at a stand still, but the trees have sap!
    sap.jpg
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    2015 first year 9 taps, turkey fryer and round pans
    Turkey fryer with steam table pans, a little faster, but still lots of propane
    Completed barrel evaporator for 2 steam table pans
    2016 season - New design barrel evaporator, with pre-heat pan and combustion air blower.

Very cool pic. WE have had a little flow but not much. Next week when it gets sunny and mid 40's hope it flows!

got 2 1/2 gallon of sap out of 4 maple trees, measured at 1.5%. pretty stoked about it

maple trees have been done here, real bad year for making syrup but a quart of syrup still better than nothing.

Anything out of the sweet gums? I'm in Southern Maryland trying to plan for next year (see post in Maryland section). I've got about 20 sweet gums I'd like to tap - trying to firgure out when is best to do it given the 'warm' climate we have near the bay...

it looks like if it will flow it will be thru root pressure, so like a birch. I have 85 sweet gum and got nothing from them yet. Next 2 weeks could be promising it should happen between when it buds and when leaf are open.

Interested in hearing how they do. Can having the taps in the trees that long (January through March) be a problem?

if it does it would be on the amount of sap i get. forestry agent told me i should have about 60 days on holes for taps at this time of year, after that we loose 50% of the hole.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast