+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: south east virginia

Default south east virginia

I'm starting my taps tomorrow and see what i get. It's my first year solo and in 20 years, use to do it with my family in quebec.

Do you have sugar maples, or reds or something else?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I did about 21 tree's on one of my friends property, about 8 red maple. The rest are sweet gum tree's. Problem with sweet gum is not sure if it's producing thru stem pressure like maple or root pressure. still have 70 tree's to do.

Is maple sap flowing there?

i'm going to check tomorrow. We had beautiful weather for it the past 2 days, 20's at night high of high 30's low 40's during the day. should be promising.

I think the internal temp of the trees is still pretty warm. That may slow them this year. Pls let me know if you do , Im not too far from you!

i've got a total of 85 tree's this year done. next week should be interesting, low 20's at night up to 45 during the day. the one day i could of had water in them wind picked up pretty bad and knock my bucket over. using regular 5 gal bucket on uneven terrain.

Attachment 12416
    my middle child helping
    Attached Images Attached Images

the stove I'm working on. NCM_0472.jpgNCM_0473.jpg

Cool project. Im working on a wood fired evaporator myself. Used propane last year , hopefully only to finish with from now on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast