+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacuum pump to zero tank

Default Vacuum pump to zero tank

How do I go about hooking my pump up to a zero tank? The pump is a d78 and it's a 400 gal. Zero if some one had see pictures that would help as well thanks in advance!

I have a 525 gal zero in my woods at the lowest level that I could place it. I have almost 300 taps all run off my delaval dairy pump at 17". I have my pump running 700' away from my tank but near electricity and sugar house and drawing vac on 1.25" pipe that is run form the pump to the tank. At the tank I have all my mains (4) on a small manifold at one of the inlets at the top of the zero. My vac line is connected to another port on the top of the tank inline with a moisture trap that is placed next to the tank. I have a gauge at the tank and get the same there that I get at the pump. Zero tanks are awesome and worry free, except when you want to collect the sap. I haven't quite worked that process out completely yet. I have to break the vac at the tank then pump with a modified zero tank washer pump and generator to pump from the tank to my sugar house. I'm looking for photos but can't get my hands on them right now. I'll take a walk in the daylight tomorrow and add them.
    12th Year "skip gen" Maple Producer
    St. Lawrence County
    1-'09: 4 gal stock pot, fire pit, 3 taps
    2-'10: Pots, Kitchen Stove & Sap Selling ~110 taps
    3-'11: 8x12 Shack, 146 taps (100 buckets/46 gravity), 16"x77" evaporator (2 flat pans)
    4-'12: 8x16 expanded shack, 147 taps, Leader 2x8 dropped flu
    5-'13: Added 10x20 wood shed, 1st yr on vac
    6-'14: 175 taps, Zero Tank
    7-'15: 230 taps, H20 jacket canner, Vintage Ski Doo Elan
    8-'16: 150 taps
    9-'17: Goal - RO and 250+
    Twitter: @Newman_Zone

Here is what I have for pics:
    Zero Inlets.jpg
    The first shows the different ports at the top: the farthest left is a small opening that was used for the dip stick which I use for a vac gauge, the next is a port on the top of the first lid - I just have that one capped, the next is the opening for the agitator (under the motor) - I also have that one capped, next to that is where my manifold for the 3/4" mains enter the tank - there is a downspout that hangs about 12-18" into the tank, next is the the port at the top of the lid to the right - this is where I draw vacuum.
    Zero Tank Trap.jpg
    The second picture shows where the vac line goes over next to a tree where I have the moisture trap and shut off valve suspended and attached to some spare milk hose to step to my 1.25" black dry line that goes back to my pump about 700' back by my sugar house.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Joust7.1 View Post
    I have a 525 gal zero in my woods at the lowest level that I could place it. I have almost 300 taps all run off my delaval dairy pump at 17". I have my pump running 700' away from my tank but near electricity and sugar house and drawing vac on 1.25" pipe that is run form the pump to the tank. At the tank I have all my mains (4) on a small manifold at one of the inlets at the top of the zero. My vac line is connected to another port on the top of the tank inline with a moisture trap that is placed next to the tank. I have a gauge at the tank and get the same there that I get at the pump. Zero tanks are awesome and worry free, except when you want to collect the sap. I haven't quite worked that process out completely yet. I have to break the vac at the tank then pump with a modified zero tank washer pump and generator to pump from the tank to my sugar house. I'm looking for photos but can't get my hands on them right now. I'll take a walk in the daylight tomorrow and add them.
    12th Year "skip gen" Maple Producer
    St. Lawrence County
    1-'09: 4 gal stock pot, fire pit, 3 taps
    2-'10: Pots, Kitchen Stove & Sap Selling ~110 taps
    3-'11: 8x12 Shack, 146 taps (100 buckets/46 gravity), 16"x77" evaporator (2 flat pans)
    4-'12: 8x16 expanded shack, 147 taps, Leader 2x8 dropped flu
    5-'13: Added 10x20 wood shed, 1st yr on vac
    6-'14: 175 taps, Zero Tank
    7-'15: 230 taps, H20 jacket canner, Vintage Ski Doo Elan
    8-'16: 150 taps
    9-'17: Goal - RO and 250+
    Twitter: @Newman_Zone

Another item that may help you is a bulkhead fitting. When I used a Zero that is what I used in the top covers. Where I took the agitator out I just siliconed a piece of flat stainless over the hole and it never moved since you are only pulling down on it with the vacuum. And my covers had holes in them with no thread, so I just put in the bulkhead fittings and instantly had a air tight seal with threads
    Keith

+ Reply to Thread