+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installing Tubing for First Time in 2016

Default Installing Tubing for First Time in 2016

I'm looking to do my first tubing system as I'm realizing now that tapping around 150-200 trees with buckets is going to be too hard long term with just myself. I am fortunate that my forest terrain does slope down to my shack. Looking through this forum, I've learned some answers to questions I've had like cost which seems to be around $10 a tap, but could someone be so kind and point me in the direction of which tubes I should use, (I just learned about rapitube, but was curious about other options) and links to installation with videos or anything to help me with what tools I will need etc.

appreciate all the help. I really hope to make this a part of how I earn my living.

Happy new years everyone!

another question I have is, do you guys re use the same tubing year after year? do you guys use a marking system to know where they all go?

There are a few books available at various dealers here is the link to bascoms https://www.bascommaple.com/category/books/ A nice book explaining the basics of tubing installation is the Design Installation and Maintenance of Maple Tubing it has some pictures and diagrams and give some charts for choosing tubing size.

There are a lot of different ways to install tubing. I would suggest visiting someone in your area most any sugarmaker would be glad to show you their tubing.

Most everyone uses the same tubing because taking it down and reinstalling it is a PITA tubing life span is 10-15 years generally speaking.
    Jared

Visit as many sugar makers as you can. you will find that there are several different ways of setting up a good tubing system. The key is to find what will work best for your farm.

Reading a book or several before visiting the producers will have you asking questions that you will have developed from your new found knowledge.

Your goals are great but you will realize that there is a lot of work that goes into maple production. Time spent planning is time well spent.

No body plans to fail...they just fail to plan.

Happy New Year to you as well!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by unc23win View Post
    There are a few books available at various dealers here is the link to bascoms https://www.bascommaple.com/category/books/ A nice book explaining the basics of tubing installation is the Design Installation and Maintenance of Maple Tubing it has some pictures and diagrams and give some charts for choosing tubing size.

There are a lot of different ways to install tubing. I would suggest visiting someone in your area most any sugarmaker would be glad to show you their tubing.

Most everyone uses the same tubing because taking it down and reinstalling it is a PITA tubing life span is 10-15 years generally speaking.
    Thanks alot for your help guys. I ordered the book from the bascom site, and I'll see where it goes from there.

Everyone has their own way on doing stuff..I run all 5/16 and 5\16 taps as of now. I have all gravity..been in for over 10yrs,learned as I went ,have 6 runs,take them down each year,each run is tagged with a name or number. I use a can of spray paint and paint the side of the tree where the tubing goes and a map/notes....yes its work.I store the runs in a lid type barrel inside a shed. ..now with the 3\16 line I might start to switch over...look at youtube...lots of info on this site too....

+ Reply to Thread