+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Pro Homemade RO for 4-500 taps Invested $1500 so far

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter View Post
    Good luck with your build. Your RO will function ok, but it has more capacity if you elect to go with another membrane.
    I do have budget limitations.

What you are saying is, that I am better off with the MES over the XLE-4040 which has a higher rated pressure (145 vs. 125)? The XLE is closer to the price range. The NF270 is significantly more money. I only opted for the MES over the XLE. Did I make a mistake in your opinion, and why?

If I remember correctly the MES membranes and the XLE membranes have similar characteristics. Either one will work just fine as long as you size your high pressure pump with the appropriate GPH and PSI. I decided to go with XLE mainly because of price but was also told that the NF membranes are more suseptible to passing sugar if concentrating to high levels. Everyone has their opinion on what is the best membrane to use. I love my XLE and some people prefer the NF. Either will work fine as long as you design your system to match the characteristics of which ever membrane you have.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Two seasons ago I had to install new vessels and membranes in my Memtek RO. The old ones were missing some how. I spoke at length with Joe from Atlantic RO and he suggested XLEs over the NF. Friends had also suggested these over having run NFs in the past.

MY unit is an old commercial unit we bought in 1982. It is of the high pressure days. 500 psi and up. I have run my xles as high as 450 with no issues. I only go over 200 when I am running out of storage room for sap. Generally I run at 200 psi.

I did have an issue right off the bat passing sugar but it was that I did not have enough permeate flow to keep the membrane flushed of sugar. The DOW tech said no less than 3 gpm from permeate side and not more than 13 GPM into the vessel. After that I had no issues. I will need to add another pair of membranes parallel to the current pair to get the most out of this machine as the 5 hp piston pump can make far more than 13 gpm when unleashed.

I will be buying 2 more XLEs to have the system balanced; but I am one that likes to try new tech if there is a chance that it will make a better return on investment. But I hate being the guinea pig for new tech. Don't have time for that during sap season or in trucks.

I got started on assembly today...
    Built frame assy with panel, and mounted pressure gauges, flowmeters, pump switches, two 3-way valves, and the TDS meter. About 5 hrs. Next I will mount feed pump, filter assy, high pressure pump, membrane assys, wash tank, and electrical box.
    I think then it will be all plumbing and electrical...

Frame[2].jpgPanel[2].jpgFull_Panel[1].jpg
    Last edited by DoubleBrookMaple; 01-01-2016 at 11:22 PM.

Another late night. Started early evening and got things rolling along...

I need some large hose clamps to retain the membrane housings in the saddles I built. I have spent another $200 or so on all kinds of brass fittings, PVC, wire, three 20A 220V C.B.'s. I am using 1/4 flare copper for the pressure gauges. I am using PVC and high pressure SS flex into membranes, and all PEX out, including into wash tank, which is what the 3-way valves are for.
    I have very nearly everything I need, and total cost seems to be around $1800

Membranes[1].jpgWashTank[1].jpgWashtankMount[1].jpg

After reading another thread on over pressure failure, I have ordered this switch to add to the mix..

http://www.omega.com/pptst/PSW-581.html
    Eric of the Greens... I Fly Solo...
    2013-15 Block arch to having it all...
    2016...320 on vacuum. 155 gravity, 90 buckets.
    All homemade equipment except Smokey Lake pans.
    2x6 arch, Electric releaser w/ Gast 1023 24" vacuum
    2x4x40 RO w/ dual 265gph Procons
    My PWS with webcam... https://www.wunderground.com/persona...READS2#history

The MES and the XLE are rated at different pressures and they have different daily rated capacity so you can't easily compare them by just looking at the specs. They look to me like they have about the same capacity when operating at the same pressure, so they will be priced about the same. The pump, membrane housings, etc are pretty expensive so I prefer to spend a little more on the membrane so I can run a smaller unit. The NF are more expensive because they have more capacity.

Dave
    Leader 1/2 pint - Kawasaki Mule - Smoky Lake Filter Bottler
    24 GPH RO, 2 1/2 x 40 NF3 (NF270), 140 GPH (Brass with no relief valve ) ProCon pump
    2013 - 44 taps - 16 gallons syrup, 2014 - 109 taps - 26 gallons syrup
    2015 - 71 taps - 13.5 gallons syrup, 2016 - 125 taps - 24.25 gallons syrup
    2017 - 129 taps - 17.5 gallons syrup, 2018 - 128 taps- 18 gallons syrup
    2019 -130 taps - 18.5 gallons syrup, 2020 ~125 taps-19.75 gallons syrup

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter View Post
    The MES and the XLE are rated at different pressures and they have different daily rated capacity so you can't easily compare them by just looking at the specs. They look to me like they have about the same capacity when operating at the same pressure, so they will be priced about the same. The pump, membrane housings, etc are pretty expensive so I prefer to spend a little more on the membrane so I can run a smaller unit. The NF are more expensive because they have more capacity.

Dave
    Like has been said... You usually get what you pay for.

Eric

One more day. I got the membranes mounted securely with SS band clamps. completed TDS install with John Guest adapter in SS tees on the LP side of the flowmeter(s). Mounted the electrical box with busbar power distribution with three 220V 20A circuit breakers(Feed Pump, HP Pump, and Wash Tank Heater) Pump contactors also installed in box.

Eric

Membrane_clamps[1].jpgMembraneandJguest[1].jpgBreakersandContactors[1].jpg
    Last edited by DoubleBrookMaple; 01-03-2016 at 08:16 PM.

A couple more hours today to plumb the membrane top ports to the two flowmeter inlets. I am using Eaton SS PTFE hoses for the high pressure lines in and out of the membranes. Just fittings and the SS flex hoses. I had three 18" lines and ordered a 12" line to the missing line in the photo below. All the low pressure lines are PEX, with Blue for permeate, Red for Concentrate. I am reworking the flowmeter outlets with the John Guest fittings for the TDS probes. In the previous post, if you look, I had them orientated down, so sap would not drain from them. I am also changing to 1/2-1/2-3/8 tees to eliminate the adapters for the 3/8 John Guest fittings for the 1/4 probes.
    Prototyping!!!!! You gotta love wood! Note where I cut away the wood frame for tubing clearance..
    Eaton PTFE hose http://www.zoro.com/eaton-aeroquip-p...p6/i/G1613875/
    Eric

Membrane Top Plumbing.jpg
    Last edited by DoubleBrookMaple; 01-04-2016 at 10:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast