+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2016 Tapping Plans in Missouri

Hybrid View

The warmup has shaken some sap loose, and I see some dripping. I haven't had any sap to collect for the last couple weeks, but hopefully that changes today.

Hey Johnnyf: greetings from around Jeff City. Like Ray said below, the few days prior to Feb 7 were good runs. We collected 120 gallons on Sunday 2/7, boiled it down today to almost 4 gallons of syrup, a little darker than our earlier batches. So we are up to almost 12 gallons syrup so far this year. I think you are new to this Missouri tapping forum, so why don't you describe your trees, evaporator and finishing equipment and methods, and where you are. Do you know of anyone else who taps trees in your area? the forecasts for this weekend have been getting colder every day, so I don't think sap will flow til Monday or Tuesday. John
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

Wow , you are off to a good start. Im gonna tap as soon as this current cold snap starts to warm. Hoping more good weather ahead. Im on eastern part of the state but same latitude. Ill let you know how mine goes. Im building a wood fired boiler , hope to get it done this week.

Here's a picture from my first boil of 2016. I ended up with 45 ounces of syrup. The color is much lighter than I had last year. The bad thing is I've got niter in the jars, so I think I'm gonna re-heat, re-filter, and re-jar tonight.

160111_Maple_Syrup_Boil.jpg
    Last edited by Ray_Nagle; 01-12-2016 at 02:05 AM.

It's been a little hit or miss here in St. Charles County but I managed to collect 150gallons thru the week, finished it yesterday on my oil tank evaporator. Looks like next week before any more sap runs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123