+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Tapping Plans in Missouri

Here's a picture from my first boil of 2016. I ended up with 45 ounces of syrup. The color is much lighter than I had last year. The bad thing is I've got niter in the jars, so I think I'm gonna re-heat, re-filter, and re-jar tonight.

160111_Maple_Syrup_Boil.jpg
    Last edited by Ray_Nagle; 01-12-2016 at 02:05 AM.

Thats awesome that you are already boiling! Just put in two test taps today. One dripped one didn't?

There's been no flow here either for the last few days due to freezing temps, but it's supposed to warm up (for a couple days) starting tomorrow. So we (and maybe you too?) should see more sap in our buckets this week before the temps plunge again this weekend.

Im inersted to see how it goes. We might be a little early yet. Was 20 here this morning. Supposed to warm then back down here too.

Yeah, I was able to make a little bit more syrup today, but it's gotten sub-freezing and looks like it'll stay that way for a while. So now I'm expecting the sap to start flowing again a little bit on Wednesday, and then heavier next weekend. Anyway, I guess it gives me a few days break from emptying buckets.

Default Slow start

We are in the southeast part of the state near ste genevieve. We put out 230 taps on Jan 2 and collected 630 gal of sap which we boiled off this weekend. Still need to finish it off over propane but should get 11-13 gal syrup. The trees dripped pretty good the first week but last week was disappointing. Some buckets had a couple gallons in them but many had just a cup or so. We hung the rest of our buckets yesterday for a total of 440 taps. Made a small RO unit last year that's cut our boil times in half so that's nice. No drips this am as its 5 deg out but maybe later this week. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by huntindogg View Post
    The trees dripped pretty good the first week but last week was disappointing.
    Same here. Good first week, and lousy second week. That's an impressive amount of taps you've got...how many acres are you on?

I had only seen small runs and the sapsuckers have not been working in trees yet so I had not been excited about getting taps in.
    I did put in about 300 taps yesterday. But I did not have a single hole that run any sap when I drilled them. Weather looks good for next week.

Hopefully get enough sap to do a run on new RO from Ray Gingerich,,, a 125EX that I picked up in November.
    2012 200 taps on buckets,,, Built me a 2' X 11' arch,,, hope to put most on tubing next year.

2011 100 taps on buckets, 30x 60 flat pan

2009 63 taps on buckets,,,, 30x60 flat pan

Yea , calling for high 40's possibly 50 next week. Hoping for a decent run.

We got ours tapped this weekend! Some ran a little but not enough to collect.
    Matthew
    Highly modified Leader Half Pint with Smoky Lake 2 x 4 Raised Flue
    14' Grain Bin Sugar House
    152 taps on 3/16 tubing
    MES Dolly 100 RO
    Homemade filter/canning tank with an electric water jacket
    Kubota RTV 1100
    http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Maple%20Syrup/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast