+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Tapping Plans in Missouri

Default 2016 Tapping Plans in Missouri

With the weather so warm so far this winter, what are other folks in Missouri thinking for the upcoming 2016 season? I'm concerned that a lack of sustained sub-zero temps will hinder sap production, but this'll just be my second year making syrup so I'm not sure.

It'll be OK. I think the cold spell we're getting now will prime the trees, and any bitter cold will put us back where we should be without drastically affecting production.
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

Okay...looks like we'll be mostly below freezing for the next few days. So then the decision becomes whether to tap in early January, or wait for another cold spell.

Ray,
    Good luck this year. Look at the forecast for at least a week (or several days) of freeze thaw conditions in the next month. That would be a good time to be ready. Ready meaning you could tap and make syrup withing 48 hours. Always a guessing game. I always watch for the neighbors to tap, then it must be time!
    We always have had spring. If the ground is frozen solid its too early, if the peepers are singing its to late! You just need to make syrup in between those two events.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Thanks, Chris. We're in freeze-thaw conditions here now, but I'm gonna wait a few days and keep my eye on the 10-day forecast before I make a tapping decision. I did set up my cinder block stove today, and now I'm preparing my records spreadsheet for 2016. Getting psyched to collect some sap.

This past weekend I was out doing some preparation work which involved digging in some concrete block steps on the Missouri river bluffs to make getting to the maple trees easier. In doing so I cut into some sugar maple tree roots and they were dripping like crazy. I am sure if I had trees tapped I would have had a nice collection weekend. However I have not tapped and am a few weeks away from being ready. But seeing those roots dripping has gotten me geared up.
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

Good to hear, RiverSap. Around here, the weather has been a mix of freezing nights and thawing days for the last week, so that's been tempting me to tap right away. However, I've decided to let the trees get a couple solid weeks of freezing before I tap them. It's supposed to warm up again later this week and then get cold again over the weekend. The forecast looks good for next week, so I'm planning to tap on Jan 10th or 11th.

Let me know when you decide to tap, and what kind of flow you get.

Hey guys , 3rd year syrup maker here. You all and virginia are the closest to me here in Tennessee. I may peek in from time to time and pick your brains. Good luck this season.

Quote Originally Posted by esetter View Post
    Hey guys , 3rd year syrup maker here. You all and virginia are the closest to me here in Tennessee. I may peek in from time to time and pick your brains. Good luck this season.
    You're not too far away, especially if you're on the western side of the state.

I ended up tapping on the 6th, despite my last post. The weather just looked too perfect to pass up the opportunity. I've gotten 13 gallons of sap from 15 taps in the last few days. We're in a deep freeze right now, so the trees are back in "charge mode." I'm planning to do my first boil tomorrow.

Wow , you are off to a good start. Im gonna tap as soon as this current cold snap starts to warm. Hoping more good weather ahead. Im on eastern part of the state but same latitude. Ill let you know how mine goes. Im building a wood fired boiler , hope to get it done this week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast