+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do we Tap????

I believe we will have bitter cold weather this winter but what if we do not?

Spud[/QUOTE]
    That is the million dollar question.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Putting in my test tap Tuesday and if the sugar% is good I'll start first of the year.

I have a few small things to do yet, but I'm shooting to be ready to tap by the end of January if need be. I hope the season doesn't start that early though.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Heard a guy in Enosburg tapped already b/c its been so warm. He boiled every day last week. sap is coming in between 1.7-1.9% and the syrup he's making tastes great and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and what they make in the spring. makes you kinda wonder a little bit. I know we're setting up my parents woods right now and all the anchors we installed last week in maples were dripping sap when we drilled them. . . .

There is a guy in Richford that has tapped all 25,000 of his trees. He has made 14 barrels so far. His plan is to pull the spouts in January and drill each tap hole deeper for the spring season. I have done this on test trees and the sap did keep running for a while. My test trees did not stay productive till April though. I wish this family well because they are very nice people and hard workers. With the days being so warm but the nights not freezing I don't know how much more sap I will get on my Fall tapping test trees. It looks like the cooler weather is on it's way.

Spud

I have boiled the last three days. I thought the warm temps yesterday would shut them down, but I had a small run this morning. I'm cooling down the evaporator now and about to take a draw to finish some syrup. I still have my regular season trees to tap, but I may not have a break this year from fall to spring.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    I believe we will have bitter cold weather this winter but what if we do not?
    Sorry....was offline for a few days. However....."Ask and ye shall receive".....winter returned last night for sure, and we'll certainly be getting plenty more of it before sugaring time.

The topic of tapping very early (fall) and how long a taphole can be kept viable and productive is certainly of interest and something I hope to be able to do some research on before I retire. Other things keep getting in the way though. Hope to get something started in the fall of 2016.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 12-28-2015 at 10:28 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    The topic of tapping very early (fall) and how long a taphole can be kept viable and productive is certainly of interest and something I hope to be able to do some research on before I retire. Other things keep getting in the way though. Hope to get something started in the fall of 2016.
    Dr. Tim, were you able to start your research as you had hoped? I have been attempting to research the fall tapping idea and having difficulty finding information. Do you know of any theories or proved information about collecting sap in fall? And where I may find it? Also, would fall tapping include Birch and Walnut trees?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12