+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frozen Sap

jwbmaple Guest

Question sap storage?

How long can sap be stored when it doesn't freeze? For instance, I plan on tapping this friday and the forecast for the following week is high 30's to low 40's for the daytime and high 20's to low 30's for night time. Can i collect sap all week and then boil on the weekend?

Just think of sap as fresh milk straight from the cow. Without being chilled the two will probably spoil about the same.
    Jon
    2 1/8 x 8 Leader Inferno Arch W/ steamaway , hood and Marcland auto drawoff
    M6040 Kubota w/ cab and lift
    Arctic Cat Prowler
    http://jwhitjw.spaces.live.com/photo...D0BF1C18E!116/

i think sap has a slightly lower freezing point than water... but to answer the question about "throw the ice or not to throw the ice" does anyone have a brix refractometer? and if you do could you please test the unfrozen sap , and the melted ice from atop it , so we all might have some real evidence as to how much sugar is in the ice?

SapSuckers Guest

I find myself tring to save sap from a week and boil on the weekends also. If you are boiling often i have heard that throwing the ice out is a good idea, but also for someone who tries to save sap it will help keep the tank cool during the days. I try to pack snow around my tank on the edge of a field, as well as shield from the sun. You must be very careful when waiting on sap. I have dumped some tanks of bad sap and YUK!!!! Just like bad snot.

I read on another post someone had the idea of putting frozen 2 liter bottles of sap or water into the storage tank. I think this is a great idea and look forward to tring it during our next run. Cant quite afford or have room for a walk in cooler

Take your Hydrometer and some ice that has drained the water off and tell us what the results are... 1% on my reds...frozen sap like said before wont go bad....

The trees are running now and we are hitting 20's at night. If I get a partial frozen bucket I'll test the ice chunk vs. the liquid sap with my refractometer. I'll post what I find (assuming I actually find some ice!).

Mark

I tested some thawed sap ice with my refractometer and got 1.5%. There was only about 1/2 cup of unfrozen sap (concentrate) in the bucket. That tested to be 7.5%. Most of my normal (unfrozen and/or not concentrated) sap readings this year have been between 2 and 3%.

I would assume that if there would have been alot more unfrozen sap in the bucket....it would have tested to be a much lower percentage.
    -Steve
    D&G 2x6 dropflue
    200 buckets

Ok..but the question is to throw the ice out or not...I have been pitching the big chunks ..but no more...1% is more than 0%...

I think, if there is just a coating of ice around the outside of the bucket, toss it theres a point when the temps get too cold and even sugar water freezes. I believe that point to be below 10 degrees for an extended period of time. Thus the more ice in the bucket the more likely it is to have a sugar content. The rule of thumb i use is if its less than 2" thick around the outside of the bucket throw it, if more than that collect it and leave the ice in the bucket to keep future sap cold. If its frozen solid, find a way to empty it and let it melt out i use a 55 gallon drum with the top cut off for that and then put a space heater next to it to melt it.
    80-100 taps
    2x6 patrick phaneuf Evaporator

all i know this year i am boiling everything if has 0.5 i am boiling it. I usually wouldnt but the way this year is going i will boil anything right now. but that just my opinion but on a ususal year (which i have yet to see) mpm is right.
    2x6 raised flue mason evaporator w/hood and preheater
    400 taps at last count maybe more 2010
    12"x20" ss mason finisher
    12'x18' sugar shack
    a wife who doesnt understand why we like to boil water so much!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12