+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Crown again

Umm bulk prices did not go down???? Well i did not get $3 a pound for my syrup this year........mabey i selling to the wrong packer............as far as people squawking about crown expansion......lts not that thay are adding the taps its that they get so much $ from .gov to add the taps....a govt. subsidising a hedgefunds hobby...i know i know we all can apply for the grants,,,,,,it just that some of us think we should fail or succed by our own hard work,,,,,you know capitalism and all,,,,,,,,agine i hold nothing aginst those taking money that .gov has to borrow and that somehow will have to be repaid..by our children.....its a personal choice,,,i just dont want to contribute to the debt,,,i know thats dumb and i loose money because of it,,,just makes me laugh a littel,,,,,,

I guess because everyone ealse is doing it that makes it o.k.?
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

Great explanation of the old farm bill southfork. Most hobby farmers like yourself don't need subsides. With small acreages and other sources of income you could survive a disaster year without harvesting a crop. I am sure you are aware that the direct payment subsides days are over. Farmers now are subsidized with a insurance program. That insurance program sets a floor price and protects the grower from disasters, by doing so it keeps productive and efficient farmers in business, many of whom put as much money in seed, fertilizer, chemical, and fuel into the ground as a crown received in the one gift from the tax payers of New York. Many of todays cash crop farmers could loose everything they and many generations before them have work hard for all of their lives if faced with a major drought or flood without government subsidized insurance.

Thanks sirsapalot for the postings. I deleted my post for just the reason you stated about argueing with fools. What I stated I researched and it wasnt hearsay, and if I was jealous of them as one colorful person stated I would of visited Crown multiple times and told you guys that multiple times. As far as quality goes and all this tap count let me say this. It doesnt take a real genius a ton of money nor thousands of taps to make quality syrup. A person can make a quality product with a darn stainless steel kettle, 1 tap, and a filter in his or her kitchen. And whats up with the bug soup deal? Is this a Wisconsin thing where bugs can morph into sealed tubing system, covered tanks, or an evaporator with hoods on it? Now I dont have a sap sewage treament tank like that place in Hudson Valley but I do and I believe most have a sap filteration system. Oh and make sure you bottle your syrup at around 185 degrees before taking it too the morning news show months later and giving out samples, the look on those faces was pricless. Parker your spot on. I would much rather see 59 homeless Vets who fought for our freedom that lets us in america enjoy such things as making syrup get those millions instead of giving millions to millionares. So please excuse me I have to go pack my car up for a road trip, I have an extreme sudden urge of jealousy and need to go visit Crown again.
    Last edited by RustyBuckets; 12-08-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Just like I said at the start. Politicians make the rules to favor the people that have money and will help them be reelected. We have the best government money can buy. Theron

southfork Guest

Sirsap, for whatever it is worth, I am not a hobby farmer. I personally own 21,000 deeded acres ( including my sugarbushes) and lease an additional 3,000 acres. I am in 5 irrigation districts, farm over 2,300 acres, of which about 1000 acres are grain. Also have a Doctorate degree from Michigan State University, studied agriculture and veterinary medicine. Three of my children have studied and graduated from MSU with four year degrees in food industry management and animal science. The fourth studies at Yale, in his 13th year as a surgery resident. We all make maple syrup from two different sugarbushes, one in Wisconsin, one in Michigan. We are not experts on anything, but are pretty much in tune with agriculture and maple. You keep bringing up this credential thing, there you have it.
    Last edited by southfork; 12-08-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by southfork View Post
    I personally own 21,000 deeded acres ( including my sugarbushes) and lease an additional 3,000 acres. I am in 5 irrigation districts, farm over 2,300 acres, of which about 1000 acres are grain.
    Wow deeded acres, isn't that special........Lol

southfork Guest

Yes, and paid for. Let's get back to maple and keep it at maple.

Quote Originally Posted by southfork View Post
    Yes, and paid for. Let's get back to maple and keep it at maple.
    Thank you for explaining the term deeded to us poor people.

Parker,

If you read my post it was $ 2.91 in Canadian which equated to about 2.30 to 2.35 US this year. If Canadian dollar is stronger next year, bulk will probably be higher for US. If it is weaker then, well you know.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Southfork- I couldn't understand why you were such a cheerleader for this outfit. Now I think I get it. With that kind of money you should do the same thing crown did. Theres an endless supply of taxpayer money you tell the government youll create a few jobs and your in the chips. Good luck I don't blame you. Once you get it up and running maybe Ill come visit and see the operation. It is neat to see the latest and greatest in maple technology and trust me it is a lot easier than saving the money up and trying to pay as you go. It sucks. Good luck Theron

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast