+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: December Journal

Rock on Theron! I think I might start changing Spouts Sunday. I might try your extension idea some as well I don't have a ton of short ones, but probably enough to whip some up while watching TV one night ha! One thing is for sure we might not see that freeze soon, but this weather is pretty nice for working outside.
    Jared

Jared- I think the extensions will help pretty good. You are right about the weather, Im getting to where I have a ton of taps on and ready and I just keep thinking this is so much nicer doing it now then in the winter. Now when I tap ill be able to go like crazy. If it doesn't get cold for a while that's fine because theres a lot to do but if it does I want to be ready. Theron

The syrup has been flying off the shelves the last few weeks! I almost had to dip into my personal stash to fill some orders for friends and co-workers. Always good to see inventory go out the door - and the money come in!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Summer repairs finished. Next 11 acres under construction. Wet / dry finished today. Main lines start tomorrow. Ro expansion ordered. Not enough daylight hours.
    Brian Ryther
    Mill Hollow Maple
    10,000 taps
    3 Liquid Ring Vac Pumps
    5x14 Leader Vortex Evap
    Lapierre 2000 RO
    http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x3/brianryther/

Still Have to hook tanks up at sugar house for RO. plumb everything in and start building the RO shed for the new RO next weekend. Got a lot to do but will get it done.
    2012- 200 buckets 2 by 8 woodfired leader evaporator with hood and pre-heater. 2013-400 taps with cheek valves and new tubing system. 2014-600 taps with cheek valves and wesfab short bank filterpress and a 16 by 16 canner from Leader and a Kubota L3200 sap hauler.2016- new 250 gas powered Ro from Deer Run Maple. New Airablow 1000 tap gas powered vacuum pump and 1000 tap duel releaser and 1800 ft of sap transfer line to sugar house and down to 540 taps.

Just got in from running 500' of 1.5 inch dryline 14' off the ground across a field in the dark. Had to tie it in off a stepladder in a soupy hayfield. Tomarrow night going to run an inch and quarter line under it and then I wont have any more lines to run this year which sounds good to me. All I have left then is hooking up pumps and releasers and boosters. Putter work. Have about 2000 more drop extensions want to get done in next two weeks and should have my three bigger woods ready. Im pretty pumped about this weather because of the ground being thawed. If get an early run in January should run real good with that being the case. Getting pumped now, January in two weeks. Bought five new lapierre bits. If its cold first week of next month going to tap all the trees I can and hope for a little warm spell. I think that it was 2011-12 that we made half our syrup here in February that season. With this weird weather I wonder if that could happen again. If it does Im going to be ready. Like my good buddy Parker says, gotta wannnnnnnnnn it! Theron

New floor in the shack is complete and the deck is finished.
    Evaporator is set and bricked in, new stainless stack <BIG GRIN> is up and good to go.

RO parts are arriving almost daily, still short the supply pump, high pressure motor, membranes and a few fittings.
    Those should be here within the next week. Plan to start the RO build right after Christmas.

Branches down on two laterals and probably a few squirrel chews to deal with, otherwise the woods are in good shape.

Short on wood yet, as always, but it’s still muzzleloader season here.
    My neighbor is 80, loves to hunt and is a good friend. The chainsaw can wait until he’s done hunting, I’m on vacation through the end of the year anyway.

Recently discovered the Arduino line of micro-controllers.
    Marvelous little gadgets: powerful and dirt cheap.

Using one for the RO, another will monitor/control most every other aspect of the shack.
    Should just need to chuck wood in the evap, eyeball the pan levels and keep the filters clean.
    Will make for a much easier time of it.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

Default busy month

Dec has been a busy month,wife been very busy making lots gift baskets and gift boxes,This past weekend did a show at Turning Stone Resort.Bought a couple of tanks,from a small producer who retired from surg'in'1 300 gal stainless,and a 500 gal plastic,which is for sale.Today, started working in sugarbush,i think every dead tree and limbs came done on laterals and mainline.Next on list is to set up 300 gal stainless tank and check that woods,then start working on 1300 tap bush.
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE

Found the promised land.

I have 30, 80 pound bags of quick crete in the back of the pickup,,,new r.o room floor in the a.m,,,,,,,,,,woods are looking pretty good......woodshed not quite full but 30+ cords ready to work up next to s.h. and 8 cords all cut to length,,,,still looking for a decent cheap 5x10 preheater hood or steamawy........gaining but lots to do
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics