+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SS bucket spouts

Default all over the place

I went to check on the 5 buckets I hung the other day with the new SS bucket spouts and the buckets and lids were all over the place. granted its been more than average windy the last 3 days, but to find all of them looking like a big ole' yard sale was discouraging.

I plan on trying out some plastic wire ties/pull ties on the spouts- just zip them on with the bump on the top and then cut off the tail. Hopefully that will keep the bucket a little further in on the spout.

so far, not so good w/ the new spouts

-tuckermtn
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

I want to try the hook for the old tin spout. Just slip the spout into the ring.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse Guest

What about this idea for next year? Take a pair of vernier calipers and get the measurement before the collar-Now drill a new hole in the top rim of the bucket just a hair bigger then the dia. of the spout-drill tap hole into the tree-now insert tap through hole in bucket and then tap spout into the tree and just rotate the bucket on the spout to empty it.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse Guest

What about this idea for next year? Take a pair of vernier calipers and get the measurement before the collar-Now drill a new hole in the top rim of the bucket just a hair bigger then the dia. of the spout-drill tap hole into the tree-now insert tap through hole in bucket and then tap spout into the tree and just rotate the bucket on the spout to empty it.

OR Try a rubber gourmet in the original hole first that will allow the spout to go through but not the flared end of the spout?

That sounds like a good place to start but here is one better I am sending my 50 back. Maybe they can use them for fill in their driveway because they would not even make good scrap metal.
    Last edited by Fred Henderson; 02-26-2007 at 11:53 AM.

Fred,

Try the ones from Leader. They are more expensive but they work.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Default going back...

my SS taps are going back also...I'm going to keep the few that I have fiddled with but the rest are getting traded for the Leader ones...But now I have 150 buckets with holes that might be too big...

live and learn...

-tuckermtn
    Eric Johnson
    1400 taps in 2013
    Lapierre 600 RO
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Are you guys talking about the Leader alu hookless spout?

Fred- yes- I will go back to using the Leader hookless ones... altough I converted 20 taps today that I was going to use buckets on to tubing and totes...and they were running today...

-tuckermtn
    Eric Johnson
    1400 taps in 2013
    Lapierre 600 RO
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Fred,

Yes, they are the aluminum 5/16" hookless ones. I started using them 5 years ago and am going to use them 100% this year.

Tuckermtn,

How big did you make the holes in your buckets? I enlarged all of mine to 3/4" so that the bucket will slide over them. If your holes are that size or a little bigger you won't have a problem.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast