+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS bucket spouts

Default SS bucket spouts

In regards to the SS 5/16" bucket spout ( straight one with the flange). I was in the shop this morning and I took a SS 3/8" nut and drilled it out to 11/32" and then let the drill wobble around a bit. I could then take the spout and drive it into the the nut for a good snug fit. I don't know if this will solve the leaking on the ground problem or not. I have 50 of these spouts and will try a few.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

Default spouts

when they make them if they used a washer with 5/16 hole and slid it back onto the tap 1/2 " I think these would be perfect. I did the same thing with the nut and flared the botton of the hole in the bucket uith needle nose pliers.When the sap runs we shall see.SS
    2x6 raised . more taps to come in o9 1 brown dog AKA GREAT FOAMY

In the 07 Maple Pro catalog on page 9 item # 3 shows a straight spout like the bucket spout but it has an entension to it . They told me ot was made for tubing and I think the it would be perfect for buckets. Anyone know if Maple Pro has closed up shop for good? Their new web site sure as heck in not up and running.

Default I asked

When I saw those in glen goodriches catalogue I called and asked him about them .He said that they are tiny and most likely will not work.I guess the pic in the catalogue is blown up some. SS
    2x6 raised . more taps to come in o9 1 brown dog AKA GREAT FOAMY

sugarmakers doing the the R&D once again. I wonder if these spouts will someday be listed in the "discontinued" section.
    Just an ole GILLBILLY
    24 years since that first boil

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...rdmaplephotos/

I plan on developing a whole new SS bucket spout and when I do I will share it with fellow maplers by not the equip dealers.

It seems like the manufactuers would do more R&D before investing in it and selling a product that is doomed from the beginning. Just like those micro spouts they came out with them and then discontinued them a year later. If they had made a prototype they would have seen the problems with them and saved themselves alot.
    Keith

The dealers sold alot of micro spouts. The sugarmakers that bought them were the ones who lost the money on those. They lost the money spent on the spouts that were $1.25 each and they lost the volume of sap that they didn't get because of them.

My thought was that if they had come out with a 1/4" spout instead of 3/16" they might have worked.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

That brings up an interesting question. Why was 5/16 settled on for tubing size? Suspicious minds gotta wonder if it's ONLY because it's an oddball size, and tees, adaptors and other fittings are not readily availble EXCEPT from maple dealers. I can get 1/4 and 3/8 fittings anywhere, but never 5/16. I asked a dealer once and he just chuckled and said "Why do you think?"
    Tons of trees. No taps, No evaporator
    No wife, No Kids. Nothing left but Dreams

Fred
    I'm thinking like you on this one. I just didn't have enough time this year. And glad I didn't go ahead and copy their design.
    Just an ole GILLBILLY
    24 years since that first boil

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...rdmaplephotos/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast