+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Sharkfin", aka hookless 5/16 bucket spouts

Default "Sharkfin", aka hookless 5/16 bucket spouts

I'm looking to expand in year 2, not a ton, but looking at going to 50ish taps. I had 40 last year on sacks hung with pvc holders. For giggles and nostalgia, I picked up a dozen aluminum buckets with lids and spouts on ebay. Theses will go around the house close to the road. They came with traditional 7/16 taps, I'd like to run 5/16 as I am double tapping the trees. They are big enough, but I'd still like to limit my damage. How well do those hookless spouts with the Sharkfin fit into the bucket hole? I'm looking at the hOle in the bucket, I'm a bit nervous. I could get the blue plastic hooked ones, but I'd like to keep it metal for a handful or reasons if possible.

Out of the 40ish buckets I have, only a few fit those taps. I am going to the 5/16" stainless stainless taps with hooks for all my buckets next year.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

" Shark Fin" i love it! just drill out the bucket to accommodate the 5/16 spiles. They work great; must easier than spiles with hooks to gather.
    At least 5th Gen Sugarmaker
    30"x10'6" Vortex with Steamaway
    1000ish on vac with Atlas DSV065 Claw,
    ? buckets per how dumb i am feeling.
    Prehistoric DG500 RO, and a big Timberwolf splitter.

the shark fin hookless spouts are great i have 25 or so they are easy to replace the buckets on one handed, the old style 7/16 dangling rolled hook spouts work but are hard to rehang in a hurry the people i worked with as a kid had the dangling ones with galvinized bucket and the hook would always move or get hung up on the bucket edge hookless is nice and the buckets stayon them good in the wind also
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

I have never used anything but the 5/16th hookless spouts so I can't compare them with anything else. They work really well though. Nothing to be nervous about - you'll like them by the end of the season.
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

Quote Originally Posted by RC Maple View Post
    I have never used anything but the 5/16th hookless spouts so I can't compare them with anything else. They work really well though. Nothing to be nervous about - you'll like them by the end of the season.
    Excellent. I like the idea of metal mainly for a "sustainability" aspect. They cost more up-front but should last many years. I'm reassured by your comments that they will fit my aluminum buckets. I will order 12..

If you want the best hookless bucket spout, get the stainless ones from NGMP. You might have to enlarge the bucket holes a bit but they clean up the best, don't break, and stay on the tree way better than the aluminum ones on windy days. www.nextgenmaple.com
    Ian
    New sugarhouse fall '06. 3x8 drop flue by Phaneuf. Kubota L2800. 260 buckets for 2012. 504 taps for 2013. 320 buckets, 207 on 5/16" and 200 on 3/16" gravity tubing for 2014. 2017: 280 buckets, 920 on 3/16" tubing, selling sap from 560 of that. Son Gavin is in 3rd successful year of selling maple equipment as MacK Maple Supply.

Quote Originally Posted by cncaboose View Post
    If you want the best hookless bucket spout, get the stainless ones from NGMP. You might have to enlarge the bucket holes a bit but they clean up the best, don't break, and stay on the tree way better than the aluminum ones on windy days. www.nextgenmaple.com
    I agree with cncaboose. I am going to expand with Next Gen SS spouts this year. The other ones I have unfortunately have a tendency to drip "backwards". Often the sap would hit the hook and half the droplet would follow the hook and leak outside the bucket. The other half I would wind up in the bucket. I had one bucket that I got no sap from because the back dripping was so bad. This happened on enough of these that I would not buy them again. I had to keep channel lock pliers with me and bend the hooks so the sap wouldn't hit the tip of the hook.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

+ Reply to Thread