+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tap rent

Sounds like you're going to give Russell farm some compitetion!! 50 acres could be thousands of taps. Good luck. If you'd like some ideas on expanding come on over, I started like you and now do sugaring fulltime.

I also agree with the gallon per 100 taps, and give the same amount of syrup to my tree owners each year. I think it is hard to explain to folks what a good and bad year is if they are not syrup producers. So I tap the trees put in the labor and they get so much per tap. I can in 1/2 pints to gallons but usually give 1/2 gallons as the largest container.

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I have two neighbors that let me tap their trees. Last year I took a picture of each of their houses and made a label with their house and name on them, I gave them each 6-10, 8 oz bottles. They loved them, one called the other day to tell me she brought some to California to give to friends.

John
    John

60-70 Taps
    2x6 Homemade evaporator w/wheels
    A little tequila for sipping
    And a very sticky kitchen in March

Website http://flickr.com/photos/57535094@N0...7601539320490/

vermontkyle Guest

Default Price Per tap

A Local guy was leasing his sugarbush and wanted $1.25 per tap. All buckets-1600 of the-he would even provide them. Seemed a little expensive to me but I don't know.

The tree would have to be very healthy and all on a south sloping hill. But still a buck 25 is highway robbery.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

Johnny, I passed your house the other day during the daytime. Sometime I'll have to stop when you are in. I was in a hurry after picking up 3 @ 4cu ft bags of vermiculite from Milikowski's on Joy Rd to insulate my new arch for the raised flue rig. As always I seem to be last minute. One year I will not have so many changes and will be ready on time.
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Anytime Dave. I might give you a call Sun, or Mon I have to go to a funeral in Earlville and not sure if I'm going to take Rt 5 or 20. If I get close I'll call.

Good luck
    John
    John

60-70 Taps
    2x6 Homemade evaporator w/wheels
    A little tequila for sipping
    And a very sticky kitchen in March

Website http://flickr.com/photos/57535094@N0...7601539320490/

andrew martin Guest

THere is a horse farm a few miles from our home in which the entire driveway (1/3 mile long) is lined entirely with sugars on both sides. THey are all healthy mature trees (2 taps per tree possibly on most). I called the owner, in Montgomery, AL and I told him I would pay 30 cents per tap. He did not seem all that interested, and he asked me to call again this week. These trees are easy access, which would certainly reduce my collection time. I may go a little higher on price, but not too much. At least he is willing to consider it.

PS. Our church had a dessert auction for a youth fund raiser this past SUnday, and we donated two quarts of medium amber. After intense bidding, the first quart sold for $35.00. We did not stay long enough to see what the second quart sold for.

Andrew

Gentlemen ; we leased 100 acres and will pay the landowner .25 per tap(payable on april first of each year) in cash or the equielvent in syrup which ever he prefers. He wants syrup. If we put the bush on vac the price goes to .50 per tap.We have a 7 year signed lease. with a 7 year op.
    1.25 is WAY TO MUCH!
    Maple consultant for 50 years

Andrew,
    Go back to your horse farmer and tell him you will trade him syrup for taps.
    If he is a horse rancher his got more money than God. The small amount that tap rent goes for is nothing to him. But syrup made from his trees is somthing, and it is somthing he doesn't know how or have the time to do!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast