+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extension cord for pump

Default Extension cord for pump

Hi. I have plans to run a 400 foot electrical wire then put plugs on either end. I will be drawing about 1.5 amps at the end of the line to a 12 volt battery charger and then into a battery. I understand I will have voltage drop and from my calculations i can run a 16 gauge wire and only have about 7 volts of drop. Will this work for a battery charger and do you guys have any suggestions or ideas? I am going to be running a battery maintainer that goes into a deep cell battery that then goes into a shurflo 4008 pump. Has anyone done a similar setup?
    2014-2017:3-300 taps, homemade evaporator
    2018: Planned 1500+ taps , 3x12 evaporator, 16x24 sugarhouse

Have not done similar. But, read the voltage inputs range for the maintainer, if the 7V drop is still in that range, you should be OK, if not, got to 14 ga which should make a huge difference. In either case, use high quality cord ends or you will lose more voltage. My guess (only a guess) is it will be OK, but check the specs to verify. Then run it, and get an in use voltage reading. For the test, have the pump moving water so it is under a load. Then see if the voltage stays good when the pump starts, or at least only a momentary surge drop in voltage.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

It you have a battery, any voltage sag when the pump turns on will be absorbed by the battery, and won't hurt anything. Just have good heavy wiring between pump and battery, like 14-16 gauge. Doubt the AC input will move much at all. The long wiring will only affect the charger. Most AC devices (like battery chargers) can handle down to about 100V on the input so charging should be OK. Are you drawing 1.5 amps from the charger to battery, or is the charger drawing 1.5 amps from the cord? Like Dave says, check the AC voltage to the charger when it is at max charging current, that will be the proof. I do this kind of stuff for my real job FYI....
    Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

How far is your battery from your pump ? 7 volt drop to the pump is not good if it even will power up .I do security stuff working with 12 volts ever day when we run long runs of wire to cameras with LEDS , the leds burn out quicker they require 1 amp .S0 with that said.when I run 1000's of feet wire normally 16 or 18 I will put a bigger transformer on 12volt 1.5 amp.A small volt drop will not hurt but low amps will .

Closer the batteries are to the pump means more current the better it is for the pump , your charger only puts in a small charge to keep your batteries up.
    2013-300 taps on pipeline
    2014-500 taps on pipeline and 25 buckets
    2015- 200 ( lost my most of my pipe line under 6 feet of snow) 30 liters
    add a hood and building Guzzler pump system
    12X30 sugar shack
    18X20 wood shed
    ford 3000 tractor

+ Reply to Thread