+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on making sugar candy

Default Question on making sugar candy

I am having problems with syrup turning to sugar before I can get much of it out of the funnel and into molds. Any ideas on how to fix this? Should I consider boiling to lower or higher temp (currently 255-260)?

Here are the actual instructions I used from Father&Son

Use only early season syrup light or medium.
    A digital thermometer is a must. A candy/oil thermometer with a long stem.
    I do a two cup batch only because much larger always cools and hardens in the measuring cup.
    I heat my syrup to 240F.
    Take off the heat and cool to 160F, this will produce a smaller crystal.
    I then transfer to a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup and immediatly begin to slowly stir.
    As soon as you start to see streaks behind the spoon or feel the bottom of the cup starting to feel rough begin pouring into the molds.
    If it sets up in the cup, place the cup in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or just long enough to re-liquify, stir and pour into molds.
    The candy that comes from the re-liquifying in the microwave will have alittle different texture but not much.

The important thing to remember is there is no such thing as a failed batch.
    It can be put back into the pan, add alittle syrup, and try again.
    Pete Nightingale
    Lisbon, NH

3 Teenage sap haulers & Plenty of friends and family to restock the beer fridge
    2012 1 tap and a pot
    2013 10 taps, oil tank evap, 2 gallons of slightly too thin syrup
    2014 48 taps improved oil tank evap 3.5 gallons, ouch??
    2015 88 taps 78 5/16" and 10 3/16" nat vac 40"x 48" Homemade Arch 13.25 Gallons
    2016 100 taps 65 on 3/16 & 35 buckets 17 gallons + unknown amount of maple / Jack Daniels testers

Sounds like your stirring too long/not pouring soon enough. If there is much "color" it's too late. When I was hand stirring I got so I knew how many strokes with spoon so I could do it the same each time.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

255 is way to high if you are aiming for the soft sugar candies. I have my best luck with 245. I can get candy at 242 but they are too soft and don't hold up to the summer heat and humidity at the market.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Another question... I am always get discolouration in the candy's. Some spots are drier that others. Any tips to avoid this?

Micah

Here are just a few observations I have made over the years just to through in my .02 cents

Boiling temperature seems to be related to how you do your batches of candy. The bigger you keep your batches seems to relate with needing a higher boiling temp. Just the opposite goes for if you create smaller batches.
    I.E.
    If I take my normal 3 gallon batch, and leave it in the same container to cooler I have found that I need to boil higher to get my consistency. Now the opposite goes for if I take the same 3 gallon batch and divide it up say in 6 different pans to cool quicker.
    I believe it changes because when you create smaller batches, you are actually evaporating more moisture off as the syrup cools. (don't have proof of this, but makes sense in my mind) And on the larger batch it evaporates less.
    Anyways unless you are doing giant batches the 250's are too high. depending on your batch sizes, and what you will find that works best for you through trial and error you'll want to stay in the 240-246 range
    now the whites spots come from either being boiled to hard and then rapidly cooling, or uneven blending when pouring
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

2 beautiful little girls
    1 wife that's become her mother

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple

+ Reply to Thread