+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pumping syrup - quick connects to switch hoses?

Default Pumping syrup - quick connects to switch hoses?

I'm trying to figure out the best way I can move syrup around for packing and I'm hoping that folks here might have some suggestions. I have a packing room that I need to pump syrup into and I'm trying to think of the best way to do that. I currently have a long hose that I need to feed out an opening into drums outside the room and what I'd like to do is have a quick connect where I can connect a hose on the outside and a connection on the inside of the room that I can connect to my pump so I can pump directly from the drum to my canning unit.

The problem is that I also need the pump to be able to pump hot syrup from the canning unit to smaller keg so I currently have to bring the long hose in from the outside to do that. It would be much easier to disconnect from the outside hose and just connect to a shorter hose inside.

So, does anyone know of any quick connects that will work with 1/2" hose? I'd prefer a through the wall type solution.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Check out http://store.proflowdynamics.com/ they have all sorts of quick connects both threaded and barbed stainless steel at excellent prices.
    Jared

Quote Originally Posted by unc23win View Post
    Check out http://store.proflowdynamics.com/ they have all sorts of quick connects both threaded and barbed stainless steel at excellent prices.
    Those are good prices. I like that for being able to exchange hoses. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm now looking for some way that I could have a quick connect on the wall. I looked up stainless bulkhead fittings and was amazed at the prices - like $70 and up. I may check a local place that I get my stainless fittings and see if they have something that would work for less.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

You could probably go through a wall with a stainless nipple the length needed and then put your quick connects on each side of that? Or run the hose through the wall? I understand you wanting to be able to change hoses fast just not sure why you can't just run the hose through the wall? Another site that has lots of stainless fittings is www.buyfittingsonline.com lots of specialty items available not sure about bulk head.
    Jared

lpakiz Guest

On the quick couplers from Pro Flow, be aware of the units that have the 1/2 inch barbed shank on them. The hole thru the shank is very small. I doubt a pencil would go thru them.
    You are better off to get the female threaded ones and add your own barbed connector. Other than that, I use them on my 5 inch press and they work great!

We heat our drums on a turkey fryer heater unit and use a 3/4" stainless dip tube to suck out the drums and kegs. at the top is a 3/4" street elbow and then a reducer to accept the SS quick coupler. Yes the ID is very small but the hot syrup it is not an issue Then we repress it and into the canner unit. I like to keep the use of the clear hose to a minimum after we ruptured one on a suction line. Colapsed and split the wall. We can only use them for in season and get new for after season, and change them again. To high of a temp I think is the issue.

Check out the old milk house tubing doors...they would open to pass the tube thru and close when not in use. Kinda like a cat door. Could be an option to limit the use of a few feet of house and pass thru the wall easily.

+ Reply to Thread