+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aquatec Pumps

Default Aquatec Pumps

Hey there is an awful lot of information on shur-flo pumps but hardly any on the aquatec pumps. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the aquatec pumps since after all I've heard they are designed to run 24/7. I've only been able to find one other post about these pumps, it was an aquatec 8800 booster pump. Also does anyone have any vacuum gauge info on these pumps. Thanks for the help!!
    2014-2017:3-300 taps, homemade evaporator
    2018: Planned 1500+ taps , 3x12 evaporator, 16x24 sugarhouse

my aquatec is great no complaints
    www.themaplehut.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/36680916@N06/
    22x16 Hut
    290 Taps
    2x6 Leader Patriot Raised Flue
    WesFab Filter Press
    Reverse Osmosis
    WF Mason bottlers
    Cotton Candy Machine

I loved the aquatech 8800 so much I bought 2 more for this year. I have a video on YouTube of my pump. It would run about 14 inches in the morning at the far end of the sloppy old 5/16 line and as SAP started to run and fill the lines it would go to 20 or more. The only thing I cared about was the 16 taps it was on double production almost every day more than one day I pulled 25 to 30 gallons on them.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

Was the 8800 on battery, and if so how long would it go before needing a charge?
    I am thinking of trying one were power is not an option, perhaps battery and a small solar charger to help.
    Thanks
    Robert.

Depends on what you are using for battery. Last year I used a Shurflo pump with car battery and 40 watt solar charger. The battery would go dead after a day or so and the solar charger could not sustain it, especially if the sap ran all night or if it was cloudy out. Which seemed to happen a lot. My pump draws about 1.25 amps. Next season I will try a deep cycle marine battery. Looking at the Aquatec 8800 specs, it is a lower power pump than the Shurflo so it should run much longer on a battery charge, but a deep cycle battery is probably a better bet.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

i have a aquatec 8800 pump i may not use this year so i may hook up some tubing to my little 5 taps in the yard that are close to the porch/power.

heres a few vids on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6yVIeT8GjE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPcua8-Vkc8

anyone else out there ever done this for sap vac? i think shurflo works better but i have this spare one to try

I can tell you the pumps work fine if the system is in good shape. These pumps do not overcome leaks very well as they have no cfm's. I can tell you from these videos you posted the guy had a cracked tap at the end of the line that was introducing small gulps of air lowering his overall vacuum. The next year when replacing his taps he found the leak and the correction brought vacuum to around 20. He has since switched the line to 3/16 with 5/16 drops and had even better results. The little system give 1.5 to 2 gallons per tap a day pretty consistant. If you have an unused pump go for it and use it . By the way ill make some updated videos this year to show my improvements. Jeff
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

I think both Sureflo and Aquatec are quite similar in design. Both are diaphragm pumps and that type pump can run dry, but it gives far better vacuum when pumping sap. Many users find they get far better results with a small bypass line to bring sap back thru the pump to keep the membrane wet. That can be as small as 3/16".
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Can you describe the bypass line better? How u know if u have a leak or if tree producing gas?

The bypass just runs either from the outlet side of the pump back to the inlet side or better yet, from the sap tank back to the pump inlet.
    To know if you have a leak or it is gases from the tree. look at the bubble sizes. In a line on vacuum, if it is 3/16 the gasses will be long gaps in the sap ranging from maybe 2" up to several inches, a leak will show as a long stream of bubbles in the line. Then the problem is finding the source of the leak. On 5/16 the leaks are similar but because the sap can and does pass the gasses you need to listen carefully, and also look closely at anyplace that might be a leak. If your hearing is good, you can often hear them. If your hearing is like mine you need to use your eyes more. I also use a Leak Detector which has a head set and volume control. It works well, but not while you walk. With it I can stop and hear even a tiny leak from 20-25' away. Walking I can only hear them with it if on wet leaves, not dry or frozen or on snow.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast