+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calendar Girls For ALS

Angela Schumacher Guest

Quote Originally Posted by steam maker View Post
    Got one ordered for my sugarhouse, cant wait!!!!!!!
    Thank you Steam Maker!
    Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Schumacher View Post
    I've never met your wife, but I'd like to think that she would be OK with you having it on the wall! When she sees the calendar, I'd love to hear her review of it.
    She saw it and was not impressed. What would make you think my wife would have anything positive to say about pictures of nude women hanging on our wall? That is not the image as a family or as a buisness we want to portray nor do I think it reflects well on the maple industry. But what do I know, I am old fashioned. I got down on one knee to ask her to marry me, and I regularly get down on two knees to talk to God. I have five children (one more in the way) who will look you right in the eye and smile when talking to you, and you can count on a yes sir, yes mamm. You will not find them face down texting all day. We are a family that ministers to the sick, forgotten and elderly. We believe that the founding fathers principles are as sound today as they where when the country was being founded. We still think the Andy Griffith show is funny! We believe that your word is your bond! We do not believe you do not have to remove your clothing in the name of art. I personally can tell you that I so love my wife of 19 years that I wish to never see any women naked other than her. It seems more and more that we are getting left behind in this current day culture or perhaps others are too timid to speak out for fear of reprisals. It seems if we speak out in the name of tradtional values we are considered intolerant, elitists and haters when in fact it is the opposite. Bottom line is that when all is said and done I know who I must give an account to and I'm good with that.
    Last edited by slybird353; 09-22-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Angela Schumacher Guest

Smile Integrity

Quote Originally Posted by slybird353 View Post
    not impressed.
    Hi Slybird,
    I really respect your thoughts regarding integrity and character. I look around me and I see so much beauty in the world. Simple, pure nuggets of true beauty are all around us but they constantly clash with what the media and society claims to be beautiful. Mainstream America pushes us to strive for ideals that aren't even realistic. It tells us to keep reaching for something that is never obtainable. Too often we forget to be grateful for what we already have.

It is totally understandable why someone who doesn't know me might rush to assume that my calendar contains your run-of-the-mill trash just because that is so typical in today's world. You might assume these are your typical big breasted women in high heels leaning over a shiny, expensive sports car, looking back at the camera with their "sexy eyes" and pouty lips. That crap is designed with the intention of making you focus on the things you DON't have which can be really toxic and unhealthy. That is not at all what I stand for. The spirit of our project is the exact opposite of that.

What elevates our photography series is the intention behind it. I can not accept body shaming as a declaration of superior morals. My heart and mind are in the right place. I believe that when people look at our art without any preconceived notions they can see the beauty that lies within.

One of the many reasons I love these compositions is that the models were such a diverse group of strong and confident women. Real women of all shapes, sizes and backgrounds. They are all grateful and unashamed of the body that God gave them. I think that is a very very beautiful thing. To be comfortable in your own skin. To be able to say "I am OK with who I am. This is me." If I ever have a daughter, I pray she is able to say the same and that she is able to love herself. When I looked at my models in the eye, I saw a light shining within them. Beautiful.

What's also interesting to me as an artist is what I refer to as the "nudity parallax". Nudity is a symbol of confidence, yet at the same time it is a symbol of vulnerability. Two completely opposing concepts. Nudity requires us to put down our armor and then gives us the option to stand or cower. As an audience, we can relate to vulnerability as each and every one of us has our own fears and worries in our lives. Often our fear of the things that make us vulnerable block us from reaching our true potential. Think of all the awesome things we could accomplish if we knew we wouldn't fail. I don't want to generalize and I cannot speak on behalf of all individuals who are living with ALS, BUT I have heard so many people with ALS comment that we need to all just seize the day. Don't put things off. Stop being scared. Be confident and go for your dreams. You never know what tomorrow brings. I admire anyone who chooses to stand behind their dreams instead of their shields.

No matter what, Slybird, I will always respect you and I really admire that you are an attentive Father, raising a family with high standards. I love that your kids aren't texting on their phones all day. I feel warm inside to see you write about your wife with such admiration. I can't comment on Andy Griffith because I avoid watching TV, but I do know my parents really love that show too. You seem like a person of high integrity and I hope to one day meet you in person. Do not rush to judge me and my of volunteers/supporters. We all have much more in common than you realize.

With all that said, if you would like to help people who are affected by ALS but the calendar is not your style, you can donate to Compassionate Care ALS directly on their website, ccals.org After all, that is our true goal here. To be a positive force in this world and to raise money for this wonderful charity.

Have a great day everyone!
    Sincerely,
    Angela Schumacher

Here are some samples of art from the masters. Just because they are nudes doesn't mean they are dirty.
    Rubens - Adam and Eve.jpg
    michelangelo-creation-adam-.jpg
    Botticelli - Birth of Venus.jpg
    Gustav Klimt - Dancer.jpg
    Henry Moore - Reclining Nude.jpg

Very well said Angela.
    Rob

Hi slybird353,
    Ha ha! The calendar is female-approved since almost all my volunteers and I are women. It's all very light-hearted and playful. I've never met your wife, but I'd like to think that she would be OK with you having it on the wall! When she sees the calendar, I'd love to hear her review of it. I know my volunteers and I are all planning on having one hanging in our homes.

As for the kids though... I suppose that's for each parent to decide whether or not they can see it. Ha ha. I personally think it's all pretty harmless, but I'm not a parent. So perhaps my opinion doesn't count for that one.

Have a great night and thanks so much to everyone for their interest in our project.
    Angela
    I think this is a great project and will be ordering at least one for our sugarhouse. When I showed my wife she said she wished she could have been a model.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Angela Schumacher Guest

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    I think this is a great project and will be ordering at least one for our sugarhouse. When I showed my wife she said she wished she could have been a model.
    Hi GeneralStark,
    That really means a lot to me. Please give your wife a big hug from me. I really appreciate both of your support.

The calendars came hot off the press yesterday. Today the pages were collated and delivered to the bindery. I am hoping that by Wednesday next week, I will finally have the finished product in my hands. I am itching with anticipation.

I have to say that from what I saw the calendar was tastefully done for sure, I got a pretty good chuckle out of the woman about to Tig weld on that shiny new pan.

It certainly doesn't objectify Women in any way. You can see a whole lot more on Day time Television.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Hi Slybird,
    I really respect your thoughts regarding integrity and character. I look around me and I see so much beauty in the world. Simple, pure nuggets of true beauty are all around us but they constantly clash with what the media and society claims to be beautiful. Mainstream America pushes us to strive for ideals that aren't even realistic. It tells us to keep reaching for something that is never obtainable. Too often we forget to be grateful for what we already have.

It is totally understandable why someone who doesn't know me might rush to assume that my calendar contains your run-of-the-mill trash just because that is so typical in today's world. You might assume these are your typical big breasted women in high heels leaning over a shiny, expensive sports car, looking back at the camera with their "sexy eyes" and pouty lips. That crap is designed with the intention of making you focus on the things you DON't have which can be really toxic and unhealthy. That is not at all what I stand for. The spirit of our project is the exact opposite of that.

What elevates our photography series is the intention behind it. I can not accept body shaming as a declaration of superior morals. My heart and mind are in the right place. I believe that when people look at our art without any preconceived notions they can see the beauty that lies within.

One of the many reasons I love these compositions is that the models were such a diverse group of strong and confident women. Real women of all shapes, sizes and backgrounds. They are all grateful and unashamed of the body that God gave them. I think that is a very very beautiful thing. To be comfortable in your own skin. To be able to say "I am OK with who I am. This is me." If I ever have a daughter, I pray she is able to say the same and that she is able to love herself. When I looked at my models in the eye, I saw a light shining within them. Beautiful.

What's also interesting to me as an artist is what I refer to as the "nudity parallax". Nudity is a symbol of confidence, yet at the same time it is a symbol of vulnerability. Two completely opposing concepts. Nudity requires us to put down our armor and then gives us the option to stand or cower. As an audience, we can relate to vulnerability as each and every one of us has our own fears and worries in our lives. Often our fear of the things that make us vulnerable block us from reaching our true potential. Think of all the awesome things we could accomplish if we knew we wouldn't fail. I don't want to generalize and I cannot speak on behalf of all individuals who are living with ALS, BUT I have heard so many people with ALS comment that we need to all just seize the day. Don't put things off. Stop being scared. Be confident and go for your dreams. You never know what tomorrow brings. I admire anyone who chooses to stand behind their dreams instead of their shields.

No matter what, Slybird, I will always respect you and I really admire that you are an attentive Father, raising a family with high standards. I love that your kids aren't texting on their phones all day. I feel warm inside to see you write about your wife with such admiration. I can't comment on Andy Griffith because I avoid watching TV, but I do know my parents really love that show too. You seem like a person of high integrity and I hope to one day meet you in person. Do not rush to judge me and my of volunteers/supporters. We all have much more in common than you realize.

With all that said, if you would like to help people who are affected by ALS but the calendar is not your style, you can donate to Compassionate Care ALS directly on their website, ccals.org After all, that is our true goal here. To be a positive force in this world and to raise money for this wonderful charity.

Have a great day everyone!
    Sincerely,
    Angela Schumacher

Here are some samples of art from the masters. Just because they are nudes doesn't mean they are dirty.
    Attachment 11945
    Attachment 11944
    Attachment 11946
    Attachment 11947
    Attachment 11948
    This response is the absolute definition of class. Not sinking to a confrontational level, nor choosing to belittle the beliefs of another. Well put Ms. Schumacher.

Slybird353- I would have to agree with you 100%. The money made from this project is going for a very good cause and I think thats great. I think something different could have been done to raise funds though. No family that is raising their children to love the Lord and serve Him would allow a calendar like this in their home or sugarhouse.

Spud

I agree Spud. As a Christian man who runs a prison ministry for juvenile offenders I can not have one. It would not present the image I want. even if I am ok with it I could not allow it to cause people to question my stance. This is my choice and I do not look down on others who feel it is a good cause. I admit i looked at it and it was done artfully and in good taste, however; it is suggestive. So I can not allow suggestive material in my home, ministry or sugar shack. Many good things turned sinful started with a good idea and benign suggestion. With that said i applaud your hearts for the compassion that is evident in your willingness to do something good in a bad situation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast