+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calendar Girls For ALS

Angela Schumacher Guest

Thumbs up Calendar Girls For ALS

Over the past year, I've brought together a large number of volunteers to create a really unique, limited edition, 2016 calendar featuring women making maple syrup and maple equipment au naturel. I am selling the calendar to raise money for Compassionate Care ALS in honor of sugar maker Eric Johnson who was diagnosed with ALS (aka Lou Gehrigs Disease) in 2012. Compassionate Care ALS is a phenomenal organization and Eric Johnson has experienced their kindness first hand. Every penny raised for this organization will do a world of good. I support them with my whole heart.

This calendar has been the most rewarding project I've ever worked on; everything from collaborating with the other designers to seeing the maple community rally together for this great cause. Neither Smoky Lake Maple Products nor any of its sponsors or volunteers are profiting from this project. 100% of the profit goes to the charity. It's all about coming together and making a positive difference in the lives of those people who are affected by ALS.

The photography series we created for the calendar has been described as free-spirited, tasteful, artistic and fun. You definitely won't find any other maple calendars like this anywhere else. They will make excellent Christmas gifts too!

Thanks to everyone who has already offered so much positivity and support. Please help spread the word about this fundraiser and let's make this a huge success for Compassionate Care ALS! You can purchase a calendar today at CalendarGirlsForALS.com.

---
    Other notes about the project:

The series is being showcased at The Flying Pig Art Gallery in Algoma, Wisconsin from October through December. If you are in the area, please join us for the gallery's opening reception on October 18 from 12 - 3pm. We will even be featuring a few extra compositions from the series that didn't make it into the calendar. There will also be a farmer's market there too that day. So it's sure to be a lot to do and see.

I'd like to express my gratitude for Roth Sugar Bush of Cadott, Wisconsin and Wendel's Maple & More of East Concord, New York. These dealers have embraced the spirit of this project and will be selling the calendar in their storefronts and at trade shows. We also thank Morning Ag Clips, Farming Magazine, The Maple News and various arts publications for helping us advertise this fundraiser in their publications. To see all the long list of folks involved with this project (we are adding to it all the time), please visit the credits page on our website
    Attached Images Attached Images

A HUGE thank you to Angela and the rest of the crew for their involvement in this fun but very meaningful project.

CCALS has been a fantastic resource for me and my family, and to so many others dealing with ALS.

And thanks to all the Traders for your support over the years....

keep on keeping on...

-Eric
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Got one ordered for my sugarhouse, cant wait!!!!!!!
    4 by 12 cdl
    Cdl 3 post ro , 4th post waiting to get added
    5 hp sihi vaccum pump, 3/4 hp airblo vaccum pump, gv60 atlas copco vaccum pump www.roundmountainsugarhouse.com.

I am sure this calendar hanging in our sugar house will really help promote the maple industry. I will just have to take it down when my wife, daughter, sons or school trips come by.

Will it be offered for sale through Maple Trader? Accepting Paypal or similar? Shipping extra of course. I would love to order some calenders
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

One thing people could do is buy say a Dozen of these calenders and try to resell them at your sugarhouse, if you sell them great, if not you made a nice donation. Obviously not everyone could afford to do this. But some people might give it a try.
    I have heard that great strides are being made For People with ALS due to the Ice bucket challenge. But It sounds like these funds go to support people with ALS verse I believe the Ice bucket challenge monies support research.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    One thing people could do is buy say a Dozen of these calenders and try to resell them at your sugarhouse, if you sell them great, if not you made a nice donation. Obviously not everyone could afford to do this. But some people might give it a try.
    I have heard that great strides are being made For People with ALS due to the Ice bucket challenge. But It sounds like these funds go to support people with ALS verse I believe the Ice bucket challenge monies support research.
    We plan on doing what Nate mentioned. order a whole bunch for re-sale at our holiday open houses, but if we don;t sell em all, give them away to folks who buy a lot of syrup...I remember a chainsaw shop in Lempster NH that used to give out calendars with fully naked maidens with chainsaws in hand...the shop owner called them his "religious calendars"

also - yes you are correct Nate - the bulk of the ice bucket challenge $ has gone in to much needed research, where as CCALS is a resource for medical equipment that may not be covered by insurance...they even have wheelchair vans for loan if something goes wrong with yours...

- Eric
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Angela Schumacher Guest

Default Resale of Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    Hi N8,
    Thanks for bringing this up! That's a great idea! Anyone who purchases 10 calendars or more can be listed on our website as a calendar dealer/sponsor. I would include your business logo, contact information and a link to your website. That way you can get a little advertising for your business too. It's a win win for everyone.

The calendars cost $25 each and we are offering free shipping through CalendarGirlsForALS.com (or SmokyLakeMaple.com) Our mission is to send 100% of the calendar profit to Compassionate Care ALS. (So if you sell the calendars for more than $25, we would love for that money to go to Compassionate Care ALS as well.)

You are right, I have found that many ALS fundraisers (like the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge) have focused on raising money for research. But we think it's important to remember that there are folks with ALS who need support right now. Our fundraiser beneficiary, Compassionate Care ALS, has been a holistic presence for both patients and caregivers of ALS. In addition to their home visits and support programs, CCALS also helps provide things like ramps, chair lifts, shower chairs and house cleaning; physical needs which ease the difficulty of living with ALS but are not covered by health insurance. CCALS does all this without requiring families to fill out piles of paperwork. There are no hoops to jump through. No strings attached. CCALS just truly cares. I've talked with their founder, Ron Hoffman, and I can't say enough nice things about the guy. This is a great charity. Rest assured this is an awesome organization to support.

Angela Schumacher Guest

Quote Originally Posted by maple maniac65 View Post
    Will it be offered for sale through Maple Trader? Accepting Paypal or similar? Shipping extra of course. I would love to order some calenders
    Hi Maple Maniac 65,
    Maple Trader is not a calendar seller at the moment, but we would be very happy to partner with them if they are interested.
    On CalendarGirlsForALS.com, we are accepting Paypal, credit card or you can mail us a paper check. The calendars are $25. Shipping is included.

Angela

Angela Schumacher Guest

Quote Originally Posted by slybird353 View Post
    I am sure this calendar hanging in our sugar house will really help promote the maple industry. I will just have to take it down when my wife, daughter, sons or school trips come by.
    Hi slybird353,
    Ha ha! The calendar is female-approved since almost all my volunteers and I are women. It's all very light-hearted and playful. I've never met your wife, but I'd like to think that she would be OK with you having it on the wall! When she sees the calendar, I'd love to hear her review of it. I know my volunteers and I are all planning on having one hanging in our homes.

As for the kids though... I suppose that's for each parent to decide whether or not they can see it. Ha ha. I personally think it's all pretty harmless, but I'm not a parent. So perhaps my opinion doesn't count for that one.

Have a great night and thanks so much to everyone for their interest in our project.
    Angela

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast