+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maple Sap Water

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsrover View Post
    I'm going to try and put some in Mason jars and can it as I do fruits and such. 15 minutes or so at 230 should do it I'd think. Wouldn't want to do a whole bunch like that but for the novelty of it....
    How did it turn out? i hope to have a fresh run this week, and will try the method described. 15 minutes @230 then let cool and refrigerate?

I filter (twigs, bugs, leaves, etc.), bottle, and then freeze about 15 gallons of birch sap each year. Just take it out of the freezer the day before you expect to drink it. Granted most are in single servings and are drank in one sitting, the half gallon jugs will keep in the fridge a good week once thawed.

Simple, cheap, and delicious. Don't know what the FDA and the commercial sides would say..

I'm still interested in "maple water." I live in a college town and there are pressed juice places nearby. One I spoke to might be interested in "fresh" maple water. Which we would call just plain maple water. No flash pasteurization, bottling, etc. Obviously this would be a seasonal product .. but hey, why not? They are looking into the legalities of it. We have always drank our maple. First cup of the season is a ritual. Maybe others would like it too? It might not be the Fountain of Youth, but it is certainly better for you than most of the crap people drink these days.

Asians (esp S. Koreans) love drinking sap...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/wo...a/06maple.html
    Jamie Jones
    2017 - 120 taps, 68G syrup - automated pumping from collection to head tank
    2016 - 118 taps (about half on 3/16"), 60G syrup
    2015 - 115 taps, 58G syrup - new wireless blower switch and remote pump switch from tank to shack
    2014 - 120 taps, 53G syrup - hobby vac
    2013 - 120 taps, 40G syrup - Sunrise Metal 2x6, 12x14 sugarhouse
    2012 - 44 taps, 6G syrup -gravity tube, 4 steam pans on block arch, plastic greenhouse shack - (I'm hooked!)

well the whole maple water debate questions etc. caused our state to not be willing to add maple syrup to the list of cottage foods allowed to be made and sold with out a commercial food kitchen and license. they were going to add it.
    I just got off the phone with the state...
    MAPLE SYRUP is legal under the cottage food laws now!!! yeah! as of 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsrover View Post
    I'm going to try and put some in Mason jars and can it as I do fruits and such. 15 minutes or so at 230 should do it I'd think. Wouldn't want to do a whole bunch like that but for the novelty of it....
    230°!!Are you using a pressure canner?

Default Sapsucker sap sales

http://www.sapsucker.ca/
    They pasteurize it and sell it pretty expensive!

I used sap this spring to make maple water kefir and maple kombucha. Both scobies love the sap instead of cane sugar and water. And for second fermentation I add a bit of maple syrup to help get a bit of fizz.
    Last edited by ashadedacre; 04-03-2018 at 05:39 PM.
    Rebuilding maple bush from over 100 years of use and abuse
    Lots of bees and woodenware building.
    Heritage and rare poultry, Heritage Rare Breed Pigs and Goats
    Preserving and Fermenting
    Working hard at self-sufficiency and small business.
    And still have a day job to pay for the hobbies lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123