+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: September Journal

Walked and did some repairs at sanborns with my youngest daughter not much damadge there..lots of new chalanges this year,,,,still need to finish the last ten cords to fill the woodshed,,will be working in the woods,,s.h. on weekends till the season,,,
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

Still have my sugarwood and housewood to cut,yet. alot of tubing work to finish.Two trucks to get ready for plowing,and my wife wants to go on vacation.Somehow,work keeps getting in the way
    Paul & Serena
    Sugaring for over 50 years.
    4000+ taps on vacuum
    4 Airtech Vacuum Pumps
    4 X 12 Force 5 with D&G Pans
    Lapierre 1200 GPH RO

www.paulssugarhouse.com

I started my sapwood two weekends ago and just started splitting it and stacking in the saps he'd. Will get allot done this weekend and it should be full by the end of the week splitting nights after work
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Walked hill and most of rte.11 last night, not much more damage to repair which is very nice.....there is a brook that runs down the middel of the hill sugarwoods,,,this year is the first time i have ever seen it dry......very dry conditions here.....all of the trees look healty.........i have to work on a sap truck i got this summer befor it gets chilly..would be nice to have trucks ready for the season for once!
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

I've got a pile of wood to split, but already having enough for the next two years makes that job a little less important right now. Looking to dig up my potatoes before it rains again, and picking/squeezing apples are in my immediate future.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Installed a new septic for a friend and the trees that had to come down he gave me. Norway maple is a bear to split but a cord of free wood boils sap great. New sap tank installed in the woods just needs a hole cut for the Releaser. Next week making the trek to leader to pick up new pans then it's time to build the arch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 125 taps 16 gallons
    2015 210 taps 49 gallons
    2016 164 taps 75 gallons new 2X6 leader max flue and homemade AOF/AUF arch
    2017 1500 taps 196 gallons RO added additions to building new tap lease
    2018 1588 taps 276 gallons
    upgrades for 2019 season 3 phase vacuum pump, stainless tank in woods, tubing replacement

Today is shooting house build day. In my blueberries I have a huge deer problem and at that field there are few directions that are safe to shoot. I've had a tree stand at one location which me and friends have taken over a dozen deer over the past 3 years, but last Jan., when the guy from the state DEC came to check for damage so he could issue nuisance permits, he suggested an elevated shooting house off a specific corner on the fields. This is actually something I had been wanting to do for years but never took the time to do it. This year it is happening. I made a platform on 9' legs that is 6' x 6'. It will be 8 sided, with 4 sides 4' wide and the corners are cut on a 45 to create 4 more sides , these are 18" wide. Each side, including the door will have a shooting window. The 4' sides get a horizontal 11 x 23" window, covered with a 12 x 24 sheet of 1/4" acrylic while the 18" sides get the the same size, but vertical, for bow shots. I have pre-made the 4' sides but will get exact sizes and make the approx. 18" sides after the other sides are up and braced. I then have made 5 trusses for the roof, and each side of the roof is getting a 8' x 42" sheet of 5/8 plywood. Then I will put steel roofing on it. The part I already assembled on the platform, built at the sugarhouse, I carried on the forks on my tractor a few weeks ago. The tractor would not lift it quite high enough, so I made up a beam and mounted it under the platform at just under midpoint and I attached a 2x6 to the legs on one side just under that height. Then I raised the pallet forks, placed them over the 2x6 and under the mid beam. With that, I raised the loader arms to full height and I had about a foot under the legs. As I drove that the .7 miles to the blueberries, I had my wife follow in her car, in case I had to stop in the road to address any problems. As it turned out I only had 1 problem, which was an easy fix, on the back of the tractor I also have a set of HD pallet forks that I carry a work box for when I'm pruning in the blueberries, that holds a gas powered compressor, and some tools etc, any way, the forks stick out about 3' behind that work box. On those extensions, I had hung a 6' step ladder and once I got on the road, I lowered those rear forks so traffic behind me could better see my flashing lights, but I lowered it too much and the ladder came off. I simply raised the forks a little higher, put the step ladder back on and proceeded to my blueberry fields.
    At the fields, I placed a 4" solid concrete block under each leg and set the platform in place. Now, today I will mount the 4' sides, tie the top plates together to form a 6' x 6' square and with the sides braced to the platform I can then put up the trusses and the plywood on the roof. The steel roofing won't be ready until mid week, so that will wait a few days. In the meantime I will make the approx. 18" wide sides and attach them, then the braces can come off. All sides are framed in 2x4's and are 7' tall, each is covered with a single piece of OSB and the window framing is done, I will cut the holes after.
    When this is all finished, it will even have a propane heater in it, and there will be a vent both high and low in 2 opposite walls to vent the fumes when in-use, then depending on the wind, the low vent will be opened on the windward side and the high vent on the leeward side.
    I sure have lots of volunteers for using the shooting house, and I will let most if not all use it, but I will utilize a schedule so only one or 2 are there at any time, and a few of the times I will be there hopefully filling my tags too.
    Last year, on the 1st of April, the day after nuisance permits were good (but all had been filled) I drove by and counted 9 deer out in the field next to the blueberries, and I have no idea how many might have been in the blueberries munching on the buds. We had lots more deer that needed to be removed.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12