+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crystals

During the season when I bring syrup into the house off of the evaporator I will leave it on the counter overnight and check the density in the morning when I know the syrup is at room temp. most of the time the syrup is on the heavy side when I bring it in and I have to add sap to thin it out. Once I get it so the hydrometer floats just right I will refridgerate it until I have enough to jug up. It is amazing how many times I can pull that same batch out of the fridge and find that the syrup is WAY too dense as there is a ton of sugar in the bottom of the container. I mix it all back together and recheck it adding more sap or water and thereafter it keeps just fine as I never seem to have this problem once it is finished and jugged. I always put the first bit of every batch in glass so I can see how it keeps. The quart jar in the fridge now that I keep filling from my 5 gal bucket in the freezer has just a thin coat of sugar on the bottom of the glass. I figure that is pretty good.
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

Thanks guys! Great advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12