+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: refiltering syrup with DE in it

Hybrid View

Default refiltering syrup with DE in it

I had some issues filtering at a couple points this year and have some DE in my bulk syrup. I know I need to refilter the syrup and have been with mixed results on actually getting the DE back out. I am using a 7 inch filter press with 5 plates (3 hollow). I am not sure if I should be adding more filter aid as if the syrup was unfiltered or not be adding any more and hope the paper catches what is in it. I have tried it both ways and still am not getting all the filter aid back out.

Any advice appreciated.

Dana

Add more DE just like you do for an initial charge on the filter papers. What makes you think you have DE and not just sugar sand in the bulk?
    To properly clear it up, heat the syrup to between 200-210, Put 2 cups of DE into the first 3 gal or so of the hot syrup and start recirculating it all back into the mix pot or tank. When the discharged filtered syrup looks crystal clear, start discharging it into a clean pot (or canner) to pack it, or into a clean bulk container. I find it works best if I never shut the filter press off when moving from one discharge place to another, just either catch the discharge into a small pitcher or pot while you move it, or open the recirculate (filter bypass) valve, move the discharge hose and then re-close the bypass valve. It found that the instant the pump starts the pressure surge actually forced a little cloudiness thru. I then added a shutoff ball valve for the pressure hose and I already had a bypass valve. Now to change the discharge from the pump I open the bypass and close the pressure valves at the same time, move the filter discharge to the new location, then I open the pressure valve and close the bypass valve. Before I had the valve on the pressure side of the, I just caught the discharge in a 2 qt SS pitcher while I moved the discharge hose then what I had caught in the pitcher I dumped back into the pot I was drawing the syrup/filter aid blend from. Before I started using this method it seemed the syrup was not always crystal clear, now it is.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

lpakiz Guest

I add one extra step.
    When I think the syrup is clear, I catch a sample in a pint or quart jar-just an inch or so. Hold it up to the light to be sure the syrup is clear. Then switch the hose from the draw pan to the canner.

That won't hurt, but I find just looking at the filtered discharge is all I need, it will sparkle. If in doubt, just let it run a few extra minutes while you get some more containers ready or something.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'm sure you've checked, but are your plates and the end plate on the right way? Mine has hash marks that all line up. I was passing de until I noticed I had put the end cap on backward

Thanks gentlemen. I believe it is DE but not 100% sure it is not sugar sand. Would the steps below be different if it was sugar sand ?

Same process rather you have sugar sand or DE. If your still getting some after refiltering you have something set up incorrectly. Are you using standard filter press papers? Make sure all plates are lined up correctly as there should be some type of hash marks. If you try again and have DE passing thru take a pic of the press set up before you break it down. That might help
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

Dana, We had this issue when we added a new pump to the press with a variable speed drive. We had a couple of pressure spies and we must have ruptured a paper. The amount of DE was not seen until glass sat for several weeks. We heated to 185-190 charged the press with DE and filtered from the bulk drums to the canner. This corrected the issue and all was fine.

Good Luck!

Ben

hey i thought someone mentioned in another thread that if you use ( pool ) DE it passes thru the standard papers and only the (food grade) DE stays on one side of the papers under normal pressure conditions idk if it will help but i read this quick and thought of the other discussion about it this topic
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

Never use pool DE, it is NOT food grade.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast