+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 27,500 Taps for lease

I can tell you for certain in 1994 we paid 50 cents a tap for that same bush that I was trying to lease again at 1.00$ pwr tap, the tank would be 2000' from my house. So it certainly is feasible. But they "the Forest service" is cutting some of the wood this winter and I am going to look at it again in a year or 2 to see what they left. That being said, I think it's a safe bet that inflation will continue.

In reality you were making my argument that leasing vs owning the property could be the way to go. If the per tap price were to be lower than that's even less of a reason to buy the land.

I really only want to sell retail syrup. So I won't be going over 1,000 taps unless I fall & hit my head again.

I
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I know of a friend that is paid $1/ tap on 200 trees. The operator will only put one tap per tree no mater if it is 30" or 18". He does not always tap every tree each year either for some reason. When the lad owner looked at logging the none maples off the producer flipped and said he could not as it was not stated he could in the lease.

For land owners looking at prices they should realize that prices are different in many areas and that a maple lease is only part of the year usage of the land and will often not cover the tax burden assessed on the property. Removal of fire wood will supplement to make the difference in part.

For me personnaly I know of some properties close buy that I would like to purchase to expand our operation but they will also be used for other parts of our farm operation. If it were just for the bushes then I would lease. But I would be hard presses to pay less than $1.00 straight thru the lease. An increase at 3-5 yr with an adjustment due to bulk price & production annually; is more my line of thinking so that the land owner is tied into the profit of the season. This way I can over come the initial cost of the system and the land owner is tied into the production more directly.

Last season a producer was removed from a bush for cheating on his agreement with the land owner to pay on sugar content. The land owner started checking the sap and found discrepancies in sugar content and gallons picked up. Moral there is to adhere to the agreement one makes.

Make a deal you can live with for your situation. Keep the land owner in the loop and they will be more happy than one left in the dark.

In the last few years $1.75 to $2.00 per tap is common on the left side of New York State and money is still supposedly being made.

Wow!!!! That would definantly sink me........i have been retailing alot more.......but ,,,,,,wow!!!
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

If it didn't sink you Parker, it sure would take the fun right out of it.
    Leader 3x8 Patriot raised flue
    800 taps on vacuum
    100 buckets around the yard
    A lot of help to make it fun

Nate,

One thing your calculations don't take into account is value of the land if you purchase it.
    Leader 3x8 Patriot raised flue
    800 taps on vacuum
    100 buckets around the yard
    A lot of help to make it fun

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-NH View Post
    Nate,

One thing your calculations don't take into account is value of the land if you purchase it.
    yes I did not account for the value of the land. I was just showing how you could show more profit on a year to year basis buy leasing, It also doesn't show any Taxes or potential write offs.
    Every situation is different. You can make money leasing if the situation is right. You could certainly loose money too
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Well, i lease all my taps and believe it is the way to go unless you have familey land. My point is that with rapidly changing markets one has to be careful about how much they pay per tap. If you pay $2per tap and it takes 3 taps to make a gallon and you get say $28 per galon you are left with $22 per gallon.....if it costs $15 per tap to set up the system and you have a ten year lease thats $4.50 per gallon giving you $17.50 a gallon........to maintain, tap truck run pumps process.....i realize there are great savings in high production capaicty,,,,but with falling bulk prices ($2lb this year?) Seems like its cutting pretty close......agine, just my opinion and im often way off the mark,,,,,,,,,,,,i commend anyone with balls enough to try to make their dream a reality....and as stated befor every situation is diffrent......
    Last edited by Parker; 08-12-2015 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Math error
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    4000 taps? In 2014
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.

I went up mt.adams yesterdayvia the "air line" trail. I believe it across the road from this sugarwoods to be leased,, ,,some very nice maple along the trail in that area and looking across the valley looks like the sugarwoods has a nice slope to it. I wanted to check out the sugarwoods, but, no time...but real nice maple around
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    4000 taps? In 2014
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.

I spoke about a year ago with a guy from New England Forestry Foundation (they have some enormous properties), and he told me--totally informally--that they lease taps for price far below those described here, maybe worth being aware of, or checking for accuracy. Also notable that they encourage hunting and fishing on their land, they are sensible folks I think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast