+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Maplewalnut View Post
    Finishing up sugar wood. Still a mix of dead oak (**** gypsy moths) and spruce/hemlock for next year. On the tough days when she just doesnt want to boil well the food of choice is a steady diet of pine and locust pallets! Still debating this year on taps. Pretty short season here the last few years, and CDL smart spouts have prodcued just as well as CV2s. April comes with a bang in PA and it seems like we go from 40s to 60s overnight. Fighting with insuarnce company about policy renewal who will cover trees on our property but not leased trees. Want me to separate sap.. Yea right. Will only cover sugaring part of sugarhouse and not storage portion because it contains freezer for personal use and ATV. Converting over last bucket woods to tubing as soon as heat recedes a little.

Mike
    We switched over to a farm package with Farm Family. They didn't give us any of that kind of nickel and dime stuff. We rolled the house and garage into it as well so everything is covered from product liability to slip and fall in addition to the structures. They know I have visitors come out for open houses, so there is peace of mind there. I don't think they cover the trees at bushes I lease, but they cover me there so if I hurt myself on someone else's property, the property owners are protected.

Our homeowners insurance was so high before that that part of our coverage under the farm package is actually cheaper. It might be worth having an agent come out and give you a quote.

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Still waiting for the dry weather to come and for summer to start. I dropped a couple dead ash trees at the end of May to bring up toward the house to be split and stacked. To do that I have to put that wood in my trailer that I pull with the 4-wheeler and go through the lowest part of the woods to get to where I want it to go. There has been water laying in that low section since the first of June. I don't know that the forecast would really be for a "dry spell" either. One thing's for sure - apply plenty of mosquito spray. I have got enough sugar wood for a couple of years so no pressure there. I would like to have more for the house though. I think since the last week of May we have had over 20 inches of rain. I can't even mow the yard when I want. It has to not rain for at least two days first and even then it's not fit. Looking forward to sunshine.
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

I also have Farm Family Insurance. They cover everything (as long as you pay to have it insured.) I have my homeowner's, my 3 vehicles, my ATV, my snowmobile, Fire coverage on 2 rental houses and full farm coverage thru them. When we changed to them, we had 6 rental units, plus the farm and vehicles (but no ATV nor snowmobile) and they saved us about $2000/yr. Among other things they cover the maple operation, my sugarhouse, all the equipment, my u-pick blueberries, all my other farming equipment and my liability coverage too. They will not be concerned with separating things out, maple vs. personal. They cover my leases too as far as liability coverage (and the issue a certificate of ins. to the landowners, covering them from liability to me or my help, they do not insure the trees.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Farm Family here too. Not the same company it was when it was owned by Farm Bureau but it is not the worst out there yet.

In the old days they would have your back now they are your normal insurance company that prorates parts when doing repairs after an accident. IE...the wheel they will pay 100% but the bearings and seals that were damaged in the accident were used so we only pay for 40%of replacement. Two week old tire they only paid 50% since it was used...1000 miles on it max.

Then the fiber glass hood they want to send 1000 miles to a shop to have it repaired and would take a month just to save $300. They paid me the freight and repairs and I got a new one off Ebay fro half the cost of a new one. Thank you very much.

Dealing with my son getting rear ended going down the road at 10:30 behind me and I hit a coon and he tried to avoid another one when a kid hit him from behind. Cop figured he was doing at least 60 in a 45. Pushed him 100' feet down the road and totaled the other car but his ranger is 4x4 and low miles so they going to spend $2500 to fix it.

Just sucks waiting to get approval to have it fixed...two weeks and running.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12