+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need recomendations for Hydrometer and Therometer

Quote Originally Posted by Moser's Maple View Post
    just to add a little something would be with what ever you decide on for a hydrometer and thermometer I would suggest to buy at least 2 of each so you have a back up. I'm also partial to certified hydrometers because they have gone through the certification process and have met the accuracy criteria.
    I keep 4 new on hand of both syrup and sap and use certified only. They were on sale this spring so I replaced 1 of each after I broke 1 of each this season. Like most things sap/syrup related an inventory on hand is always good to have.
    Jared

I have 2 long ones for sap and 4 or 5 for syrup. I probably shouldn't say this, but since 2003 I've only broken 1. I had 1 long sap, 1 short sap and 2 syrup then I bought all a guy had along with my first finisher and lots of other goodies when he needed cash as he was getting into business for himself and needed start up cash, he had 3 long syrup. I finally bought a spare long sap this year, as I got to thinking what a bind I'd be in if I broke a sap one and had some sap to buy. Trying to buy sap using my short hydrometer would prove a challenge to read the sugar % accurately enough to be fair to both sides.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

A big thanks to everyone and the info you have provided, I know what direction I want to go now. Thanks again, Clay

The Leader long stem syrup hydro is the best one that I know of out in the marketplace right now. They are a bit more expensive and are more fragile but how much is accuracy finishing syrup worth ? Buy two so when you drop one you can still finish the job.

I keep a spare on hand and without fail, I end up using my spare after breaking my hydrometer every season. This year I broke my hydrometer on the last day after boiling - trying to put it in the box.
    Miscoe Hill Maple
    2015 PJ Evaporator (Phaneuf) 2x6 drop flue
    2x6 WF Mason Arch
    ~250 taps on a Guzzler & Shurflo
    12x20 WF Mason Filter/Canner
    12x16 Sugarhouse

Mine are all stored in the box or tube they came in. Some came in a box, others came in a clear plastic tube with foam at each end, the bottom has a solid foam and the top has a hole cut in the foam to slide over the hydrometer neck. So far, so good.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12