+ Reply to Thread

Thread: June journal

Default June journal

Well I hate to be the one always starting the journals,make you think i don't have a life away from the trader.Planed on starting thinning new bush and putting up sugarwood,but instead I'm nursing a bad back:.Lifted a quick-tatch for bobcat at work yesterday an felt sharp pain an Know I can't bend over or twist unless I do it slow and methodically.I was able to get some nuts made and put together a syrup basket for our church chicken barbecue.Going to take it easy today so I'll be able to work on Monday.
    Sudzy's Purely Maple 2011 125 on vac 200 buckets 30x8 lapierre raised flue 12x20 shanty with 12x32 addition with 9x12 tank room tanks 500g 600g 300g
    [

url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sudzys-Purely-Maple/366440096710159

https://youtu.be/cK7V6VG2B_k

Did some woods work yesterday, added several vacuum gauges. Then I had to get more fittings to add more. When finished, every mainline will have a valve to shut that line off, a vac. gauge just after the valve, and a second one at the end of the line. This should make leak detection much faster.
    I walked all of one woods to check for wind damage. Several small and medium branches down, one 6" tree on line. Next time up I'll take a chainsaw to remove that one, the rest I just removed the limb.
    For the sugarhouse, I ordered a Lapierre Flue pan washer. Expect to make cleaning the flue pan much faster.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Just finished splitting/stacking all my wood for next year (and beyond) this morning. Hopefully sometime in the next few weeks my tree guy will show up to drop a couple large locusts hanging over the house, as well as a few others that are dead in tricky spots, and then I can get a good start on wood for 2017.

On to fishing....... I have never had motivational problems going fishing, but the last couple years I have had to force myself to go.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

20 cords of firewood moved under storage for next spring. Need to split and stack another 25 to 30 cords. Next project cleaning out original 3200 tap sugarbush.
    3x10 Leader Inferno Arch
    14,200 Taps
    2 - 14 HP Indiana Vacuum pump
    1800gph Lapierre RO
    10" Lapierre filter press
    2 - 25,000 tap Lapierre releasers
    3 - SS 1500 gallon tanks
    1 - SS 8,400 gallon tank
    8x8 Argo ATV
    50k John Deere generator

24'x32' sugarhouse

Attended a maple seminar at Bruce Frasiers in St. Johnsville. Steve Childs was the speaker. Yeah. Got to see how granulated sugar is made. Going to give it another try. Ron and I needed to get out of the house. Always nice to see demos. Met a few real nice sugar makers. Kind of just on hold here. Not sure when the farm will sell. So just maintaining things. At least getting people looking. Never run out of things to do. Ron has been working on firewood.

Keep ahead on the firewood. I ran out once many years ago, since I have kept ahead. You wouldn't believe the peace of mind that you get when you have 2+ years ahead, all split and stacked. I'm at a little better than 2 seasons ahead.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Yesterday when looking at a Red Maple Tree that I need to add to the system I nearly stepped on a Yellow Timber Rattler, a Juvenile since it only had one rattler and a button and about two foot long. If you are a reptile rights activist, don't asked they are not allowed on my farm.

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

I've heard the younger ones are worse than the big ones because they inject all they've got while a big one only injects what it thinks is needed to put the victim down. I also get rid of any in my way.

After a pretty dry spring, our last couple weeks have been wet with regular soaking rains. The woods behind the house is a place I like to spend time. I work at cleaning up limbs and dropping the dead trees for wood for the house and sugar wood. It used to look more like a jungle but is steadily improving. It is bottom ground though with a decent size crick at the back of the property. Usually when we have high water only the lowest portions flood leaving much of the area I work in alone. Yesterday though, without a major rain here at home (but a big one upstream) I watched as the water pretty much flowed through the whole woods. It's happened before and will certainly happen again. It always makes a mess of stuff though, with stuff washed up against every tree. It will take a while to get back to normal too. The rest of the week is supposed to be hot and muggy with a chance of showers every day. The water is back in its banks now but many of the low spots will hold water for more than long enough to make for a nice crop of mosquitos I'm sure.
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

We have been working on filling the woodshed,,18? Cords in....supposed to rain all day today so will be running the hood 2400 yard crane attached to my 4 foot splitter and splitting big pine chunkes,,,,i always feel like i am getting away with something sitting in the cab splitting wood when its raining..........keep after it!
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics