+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difference in tubing type?

Hybrid View

Default Difference in tubing type?

Now I have a question on the difference and benefit of different types of 5/16 line. Now there is rigid,semi rigid, and flexible. What are the differences in theses lines and what would each one be best for. What would be best for long laterals that won't have to many supports. That's my plan. Thanks for the help

Flex is for drops so you can remove and put on connectors and spouts easier.

Some use semi for this...I do as I have a 2 handed tool and have had no issues.

Rigid is for laterals so you can pull them supper tight and not have the line break. During a winter installation of lats we will pull them as tight as possible and secure to the main line with rapid tie. I like my lines tight so we pull it tight and then put the hook connector 8" to 12" further up the line and pull it to the first hole in 12 holes of tie. If it loosens during the season we can advance it until it is tight again with no tools needed.

Some people will use Semi for all uses but I find it better to use the two types to keep lines tighter and have no breakage on the rigid lats as I have with semi when a branch falls on these supper tight lines.

I prefer to lay all the lats then during tapping we cut in the drops. Two people can tap and cut in drops at or over 100 per hour. This season coming we will need to cut in about 300 new drops so that will take slightly more time.

I've used both, flex and rigid. But most often I do it all in rigid. I find it faster and easier. I have 2 handed tools a 1 handed tool and this past year I bought a Hot End System with a spare battery. I liked that so much after just 1 day, I ordered a second one. That is the fastest and easiest method I've ever used. Some were on flex drops (I was just using up my flex inventory), most on rigid drops. I also, put up my laterals real tight, then last year I had 2 crews following adding the drops and tapping. On the old lines we just cut off the old CV2 and hot end installed a new and tapped.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread