+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DIY Electrical Evaporator Design - Page 1

Quote Originally Posted by Colin1234 View Post
    ...will it evaporate at a similar rate then 5 elements?
    I also use an electric evaporator. The vaporization rate does increase with more power but it's not a linear kind of thing. You won't make syrup five times faster using five elements than one. I use a 4500 watt element and usually run at 70% capacity. The fun thing about your rig is now you get to play with it. You won't ruin anything by changing the power input. Find the sweet spot where the evaporation rate is acceptable compared to running power cords from several different circuits. Added electric user advice...when the heating elements get gunked up dump the sap and fill the kettle with vinegar to cover them. Run it just 'till it's warm and the crusties will pretty much fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyreaway View Post
    I also use an electric evaporator. The vaporization rate does increase with more power but it's not a linear kind of thing. You won't make syrup five times faster using five elements than one. I use a 4500 watt element and usually run at 70% capacity. The fun thing about your rig is now you get to play with it. You won't ruin anything by changing the power input. Find the sweet spot where the evaporation rate is acceptable compared to running power cords from several different circuits. Added electric user advice...when the heating elements get gunked up dump the sap and fill the kettle with vinegar to cover them. Run it just 'till it's warm and the crusties will pretty much fall off.
    Hey thanks for these tips! Your foresaw another question I had about the element and the sugar, I'll do the vinegar thing. But I did few boil when the elements where a bit darker, I hope it won't damage them if I wait until the end of the season to do the vinegar solution. Because how I am set up, I would need more than 3-4 gallons of vinegar to cover up them all. I could not do that between every boil...

Quote Originally Posted by Colin1234 View Post
    Hey thanks for these tips! Your foresaw another question I had about the element and the sugar, I'll do the vinegar thing. But I did few boil when the elements where a bit darker, I hope it won't damage them if I wait until the end of the season to do the vinegar solution. Because how I am set up, I would need more than 3-4 gallons of vinegar to cover up them all. I could not do that between every boil...
    You won't damage the elements with a sugar buildup. They're pretty bomb proof, just don't dry fire them! The downside of not cleaning is a slight off (burnt) taste in the syrup if you wait too long. The vinegar cleaning is pretty simple too. Get the high octane 'cleaning' vinegar and cut it 50/50 with water. I run the vinegar through a coffee filter after cleaning the evaporator and use it many times.

All this is great information... Thank you for sharing your know-how, very very appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234