+ Reply to Thread

Thread: shurflo pump with 5/16 or 3/16 vac line with 3/4 wet line and 12-14 laterals w/65 tap

Default shurflo pump with 5/16 or 3/16 vac line with 3/4 wet line and 12-14 laterals w/65 tap

I have a small remote sugar bush with 65-70 tapable Sugar Maples on it. I am wondering if a 12 volt shurflo pump would be effective enough for acceptable vacuum in about 300 feet of 3/4 mainline with 12-14 lateral with 5 taps each for a total of 65-70 taps. Also would it be more effective for my small set up to use 3/16 or 5/16 lines for the laterals. My main line would have about 2-3 degree slope. My laterals would have a 1-3 degree slope. I know a Maple pump would be ideal but for my small operation it is not cost effective. I would appreciate any knowledge or experience anyone has with this type of set up. Also has anyone used any type of temperature sensor to turn the pump on this type of set up and if so what one and where can I find it.

2015- First year sugaring- 25 taps on buckets late start
    22 Sugar and 3 Silver Maples
    Averaged 3.1% Sap and made 4.75 gallons of syrup and about one pound of maple sugar.
    One understand wife that now says "when you said you needed another hobby I should have ran, oh luck me"
    Needless to say I'm ADDICTED

here's a short video i did on our 45-50 tap setup with 1 inch mainline this past season. this more than triple our yield per collection versus gravity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIHKxcNAJTg
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

2 beautiful little girls
    1 wife that's become her mother

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple

I would do it I have 16 taps right outside my sugar shack on 5/16 that i would get 10 to 20 gallons a day on depending on the run. I put the pump on it this year and pulled close to 30 some days. My pump was and aquatec 5800 but its the same as a shurflo.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

I had 2 setups in a woods with 90 some taps on each. I have about a 400 foot main on each 3/4 inch main and they handled it pretty good. I have the 2088 shurflo pumps and can get at least 3 days on a charge from a deep cycle marine battery. I also used a 12 temp. controller (look up on ebay). On days when everything ran I got at least twice as much sap per tap as the bags in the same woods and also got sap on days the bags did not run. I have to do a better job on eliminating leaks as I only ran 15 to 20 inches when it ran.

Quote Originally Posted by Moser's Maple View Post
    here's a short video i did on our 45-50 tap setup with 1 inch mainline this past season. this more than triple our yield per collection versus gravity
    Thanks for sharing your video.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabe1972 View Post
    I would do it I have 16 taps right outside my sugar shack on 5/16 that i would get 10 to 20 gallons a day on depending on the run. I put the pump on it this year and pulled close to 30 some days. My pump was and aquatec 5800 but its the same as a shurflo.
    Are you running all 16 taps on one 5/16 line?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    I had 2 setups in a woods with 90 some taps on each. I have about a 400 foot main on each 3/4 inch main and they handled it pretty good. I have the 2088 shurflo pumps and can get at least 3 days on a charge from a deep cycle marine battery. I also used a 12 temp. controller (look up on ebay). On days when everything ran I got at least twice as much sap per tap as the bags in the same woods and also got sap on days the bags did not run. I have to do a better job on eliminating leaks as I only ran 15 to 20 inches when it ran.
    Thanks for the information. Your setup sounds like the same type that I want to set up. Do you have any pictures of your setup that you would be willing to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Acres Farm View Post
    Are you running all 16 taps on one 5/16 line?
    Yes I run them all on one 5/16 line. I know this isn't ideal but this is a seasonal line in my backyard and would require way to much work to run any mainline.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

We also tripled our sap collection this past season by adding a Shurflo Pump, well worth the effort after reading Moser's and other posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Moser's Maple View Post
    2016-2018, 50 taps on hobby vacuum, boiling outdoors on the Mason 2x3.
    49 taps 2015, mix of hobby vacuum and gravity, boiling outdoors on the Mason 2x3.
    42+4 taps 2014, still on a WF Mason 2x3 Hobby Evaporator
    43 taps 2013 on a WF Mason 2x3 Hobby Evaporator
    10 taps 2012

Follow along on our sugaring adventures at our website:
    http://littlecreekmaplefarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Acres Farm View Post
    Thanks for the information. Your setup sounds like the same type that I want to set up. Do you have any pictures of your setup that you would be willing to share?
    I have nearly 900' of 1" mainline with 101 taps on one 4048 Shurflo. Ran just under 25" vacuum last season.

Here's a set up I just made for a guy that wanted one like mine. I made a enclosure for the temp controller and mounted it all on a piece of aluminum for the guy. I also added Minn Kota quick disconnects for easy battery changes.

IMG_1750[1].jpg
    150 on 12v Shurflo pump
    250 buckets

+ Reply to Thread