+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/16 vs 5/16 and vacuum overall yield

Default 3/16 vs 5/16 and vacuum overall yield

Hope I am not repeating a question here but here is my ?: So if the amount of vacuum generated from 3/16th varies based on slope, number of taps etc...... that will overall create a variation in expected sap flow from the entire sugarbush. Each line being different and so some line under producing and others doing well. My experience with the 5/16th under vacuum is that the entire system is under a constant vacuum value. Our gauges showing each mainline maintaining the same vacuum throughout. So you can predict Volume of sap production more consistently and accurately if you have everything on 5/16th and under vacuum. I understand the loss of vacuum daily with leaks etc, but that would be same for both systems............So why would you not want to just stay with everything under mechanical vacuum pump and 5/16th??? Thanks for educating me on this with any replies!! Ryan.

If you develop a second sugarbush that has good slope but no power you would have to buy a gas powered vacuum. It's not difficult to do, but it is expensive and requires some maintenance, fuel, oil changes, ideally under a roof... Also you will need a releaser that has its own cleaning, maintenance...

Or you could run 3/16 and get approximately the same yield with way less capital investment/ overall headache.

I don't think anyone is saying 5/16 is on its way out. In some places it works really well. It's just we have other options that may be just as good in certain situations.
    30 x 8 Leader
    Home made AOF / AUF
    Hood / pre heater
    Indiana LR gas powered vac
    750 taps @ 25"

The amount of vacuum on 3/16 is not dependent on slope but elevation change. You get about 0.88 inches of vacuum for every foot of elevation drop regardless of slope. This is for gravity situations, with added mechanical vacuum you should be getting more vac at the tap hole than on 5/16.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mahar View Post
    Hope I am not repeating a question here but here is my ?: So if the amount of vacuum generated from 3/16th varies based on slope, number of taps etc...... that will overall create a variation in expected sap flow from the entire sugarbush. Each line being different and so some line under producing and others doing well. My experience with the 5/16th under vacuum is that the entire system is under a constant vacuum value. Our gauges showing each mainline maintaining the same vacuum throughout. So you can predict Volume of sap production more consistently and accurately if you have everything on 5/16th and under vacuum. I understand the loss of vacuum daily with leaks etc, but that would be same for both systems............So why would you not want to just stay with everything under mechanical vacuum pump and 5/16th??? Thanks for educating me on this with any replies!! Ryan.
    People don't care about predicting sap production, they care about achieving sap production.

In a 3/16 + mechanical setup you will have a similar situation at the mainline... if you have your mainline under 27" of vacuum, you know that the minimum amount of vacuum you will have on your lowest tap will be around 27" - but if you have any elevation drop at all, you will also be gaining additional vacuum on the 3/16 lines.... how much more depends upon how full the lines are with sap. Sure, you might not be able to tell if it's going to be 28" at the tap or 28.5" at the highest tap - that may vary by day, but given the choice between having a lower (but predictable) amount of sap vs a higher (but perhaps not completely predictable) amount of sap - I'd go with the one that gave more sap.

It will give at least the same amount, if not more than the 5/16 if you have even a slight elevation drop that you can use to gain more vacuum with.

In general, it actually is pretty predictable on a 3/16 system - I only had 110 taps on 14 laterals with 3/16 going into a mainline under 27.5" - but the vacuum gauges at the top of my laterals were all pretty consistent... usually above 28" of vacuum and sometimes higher (the max vacuum is the max barometric pressure - and on high barometric pressure days, the vacuum gauge at the top of the line would clearly be reading higher than it was on days the pressure was lower)

The gauges are only accurate for +/- 2% or something, but they didn't vary much day to day when the sap was running.

I believe I squeezed out at least an additional inch to an inch and a half of vacuum on every tap in my setup by using 3/16 laterals based on the elevation difference between the taps and the mainline - and that additional amount of sap for that increase in vacuum actually is pretty predictable.
    --
    2015 - 110 taps on hybrid pump + 3/16 natural vac
    - releaser posts every release event on twitter: https://twitter.com/ryebryesreleasr
    2014 - 30 taps on 3/16 gravity

lpakiz Guest

As someone who has negligible slope (1.4%) and no power, I could only wish that 3/16 could work for me. Sounds like you never had to carry gas into the bush, start engines, adjust stuff, try to guess when to head the 7 miles over to the woods to turn the whole system on, find out I was too early (still froze, so stall awhile while it thaws) to late and darn, shoulda been here 2 hours ago, etc.
    I understand that the 3/16 gravity system self-starts every day, takes no gas, no equipment, no attention other than leak patrol.
    Oh yeah, I also had to buy the pump, engine, releaser, mainlines, wire, gas, oil etc. Wish it would work for me.......
    Last edited by lpakiz; 05-06-2015 at 05:02 PM.

if they are saying 15 taps per Lat. why cant you just use 35/40+ taps of 5/16 and then not worry about change over or adapting 3/16 to 5/16 or main line. If you fill the 5/16 line with sap it will create more vacuum. we took over some taps this year and there were at least 25 to 30 taps per lat. my buddy took a video of sap coming out of 3/4 main line. We had 200 on this bush, we showed the video to a guy that had 600 he said he had never seen his bush run as hard as that 200 bush and his bush is 10 to 15 a lat.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Lander Sugaring View Post
    if they are saying 15 taps per Lat. why cant you just use 35/40+ taps of 5/16 and then not worry about change over or adapting 3/16 to 5/16 or main line.
    You CAN develop natural vacuum in a 5/16" line if it is set up properly, however it is nowhere near as reliable or self-starting as it will be with a 3/16" line, thus your yields will be lower.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I've got an equal mix of 3/16 and 5/16 on the same main lines on a small (120 tap) bush. Since the 3/16 is a column of flowing sap, I don't believe much "vac power" is wasted (i.e. propagated) on those laterals so my vac setup can be much smaller ($150) and still produce high-vac (27").
    Jamie Jones
    2017 - 120 taps, 68G syrup - automated pumping from collection to head tank
    2016 - 118 taps (about half on 3/16"), 60G syrup
    2015 - 115 taps, 58G syrup - new wireless blower switch and remote pump switch from tank to shack
    2014 - 120 taps, 53G syrup - hobby vac
    2013 - 120 taps, 40G syrup - Sunrise Metal 2x6, 12x14 sugarhouse
    2012 - 44 taps, 6G syrup -gravity tube, 4 steam pans on block arch, plastic greenhouse shack - (I'm hooked!)

Ryan asked why someone would want to use 3/16 instead of 5/16 and mechanical vacuum. The answer is simple. Not all sugar bushes are concentrated enough to warrant them. I have seem many producers who have 15 to say 30 taps on a fence line or stone wall and that is all that is there. Go down the road another 1/4 mile and the same thing. You certainly are not going to put in mechanical pumps for those locations. But if you have the elevation drop then using 3/16 is the way to go.
    I only have high vacuum on all of my taps. This year I got .6gal per tap so I'm not sure I can do much better but after listening to Tim Wilmot from the UVM extension talk about hybrid systems I might experiment with that
    Keith

thanks for the replies, I was mostly looking for confirmation that really it still is a toss up. My situation specifically is adding a new bush with 1500 taps , not tremendous slope, all within access of power for vacuum. So staying with what I know in using 5/16th and mechanical vacuum will be best for me......thanks for the various replies. It all helps for sure!

+ Reply to Thread