+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What about roxul is board?

Default What about roxul is board?

Roxul makes a product called IS comfortboard rated for 2150 degrees 1.25 inch thick r-5. How would this work under fire brick? It comes in a 4'x8' sheet

I think it would work great. Heat doesn't effect it. I tried to find some last year but couldn't find a supplier in my area.
    2'x4' Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan
    Copper parallel flow preheater & hood
    17'x12' Sugar Shack
    130 taps
    Two chocolate labs to help collect sap
    Brookfield, Nova Scotia

Home depot stocks it. I was having a hell of a time trying to track down a supplier for arch board. Was in HD the other day staring at this stuff and also wondering if it would work. I just looked up the specs and I'm going to use it instead of arch board. It's $ 54 for 48 square feet. 1/4 of the price of any arch board price I got. I have had a piece of regular non ridgid Roxul stuffed in the side of my oil tank evaporator. It's been there for 5 seasons fully exposed to the intense heat and flames. Pulled it out and it looked brand new. Not even black. I took a poke at the package and it's not as stiff as arch board but it's definitely stiff enough to put under fire brick.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 04-28-2015 at 04:04 PM.

We used the batts to insulate between two pieces of sheet metal last year and it worked great. No burning or smoking and our arch are cool to the touch.

I ordererd a pack of the roxul board 1.25 inch thick for $40 for 48sf pack. 2'x4' pieces we'll see how it hold up under 1/2 bricks

Well my roxul arrived today only took 5 days from special order to arrive at the local home depot. Now to figure out how to support the insulation and block so I can still remove my grates with out pulling out my bricks

Anyone want to post a link to it on the Home Depot website as I didn't see it when I looked a few days ago??
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

I think it is special order in the US stores. Canadian Home Depots it's a regular stock item.

It was special order cost just about $1 a square foot. Pack size is 7 pieces 2x4'.

I was going to try to use just the regular insulation above the brick to insulate inside the barrel. I wasn't sure the best way to attach it to the barrel. Is there some type of glue that could be used? The other was I was thinking was using long bolts with large washers but wasn't sure the washers would withstand the heat.

+ Reply to Thread