+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Black Birch is running - Ashby Massachusetts

Default Black Birch is running - Ashby Massachusetts

I put 6 test taps in our black birch today, and it started flowing. I've still got maple going thru our 2 x 6, we'll have to light our old half pint for the birch sap. I made some last year, the trick is to bring it half way in the regular evaporator, then the rest of the way using something easy on the heat, like a double boiler, the sugars in birch burn at the boiling point, so it's a long slog to remove water content, gently steam it away, no boiling. -DavidSB

Because maple is sucrose and can take the heat, birch is fructose, and cannot. Like 100/1 ratio, IIRR. Made some once, nice caramel flavor.
    Rochdale, Central Mass.
    Zero taps for 2016.
    Still have plenty of syrup from last year.
    6.72 kW solar array, and on our second Nissan Leaf all electric car.

I thought that I was done, but when I saw this thread I had to move some buckets over. there are many black and few white and silver birch near the evaporator.
    Wasn't going to tap but I couldn't stand the idea of wondering about birch syrup for another year.

Drilled them this afternoon and was amazed to see almost a stream pouring out of the health spouts.
    1 tap per bucket per tree. they had over a gallon in each bucket after just a couple hours.
    looks like I will be doing some mini boils throughout the cleanup of maple.
    Might have to scrounge up the last of the snow around and make a sawdust cooler for birch sap.

I had read somewhere, probably on here, that you can really boil hard about half way and then finish the birch syrup on coals, like a slow BBQ style fire. or maybe a crock pot wil the lid off?
    Anyone on here have experience with this?

I am thinking of just filling my flue pan with water and running the front pan too low to maintain the gradient in the channels- running it like a flat pan. like i did to finish my maple off.

Hoping to make a gallon of birch syrup, but will settle on some kind of birch beer.
    Not sure if I will make it alcoholic or use some kind of ginger or kombucha culture.

Default Birch Syrup in Ashby Massachusetts

>>>Hoping to make a gallon of birch syrup, but will settle on some kind of birch beer.

Hi Worcester, that would be great making some birch, last year i brought it halfway on the evaporator, then used a large double boiler to bring it the rest of the way, it takes some time though. I'm going to give it a try again. It's not quite like maple syrup though, not something for pancakes i don't think, but maybe on ice cream or cooking.

If you burn it, someone in BC told me not to throw it away, just use it as marinade.

As for birch beer, if you google "birch beer recipe" there are some articles on making it i saw some time ago.

The birch in our woods are mostly black birch.

Cheers, DavidSB

+ Reply to Thread