+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sap yield question

Default Sap yield question

I'm a 1st year hobbiest and am wondering what I should expect for sap yield per tap. I'm in southern Maine near the NH border and am tapping red maples only in a mixed white pine, hemlock and maple forest. I had the lot cut about 7 years ago, and the reds I am tapping are mostly around 12-16" diameter - 1 tap per tree. So far, I have averaged about 5 gpt, but I have read that the average should be closer to 7 to 10 gpt. I tapped the 1st week of March. The trees are still dripping slowly and I'm in a cold spot, so they haven't come close to budding out yet. I'll boil again tomorrow, about 40 - 50 gals. collected this week.

I have a gentle slope in one area, so I could tie about 20 trees together on gravity with maybe a small portable vacuum pump like I've been reading about here. Do you think that that would increase the yield?
    2015 - 40 buckets w/ drop lines
    275 oil tank evaporator
    2x4 flat pan
    made 5 gallons!
    2016 - 90 buckets
    same evaporator and pan
    hoping to make 12 gallons
    2017 - 85 taps on vacuum w/lunchbox
    50 buckets
    Smoky Lake 2X4 drop flue pan

Yes, vac will increase your yield. So would favorable weather. I'm close enough to get similar weather to yours and this year has not been the greatest. The only thing I have going for me it that I tapped way more trees then my evap can handle.
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

Thanks for the reply. I just emptied my buckets in preparation for a boil tomorrow and got another 25 gallons. It's coming out cold and clear. I still have almost a foot of snow under the trees in many places. Any chance that the trees will continue to produce as the temps warm this coming week and the snow melts away?
    275 oil tank evaporator
    2x4 flat pan
    made 5 gallons!
    2016 - 90 buckets
    same evaporator and pan
    50 buckets

Hey Bagpiper, My brother and I put a cooler vacuum system together, idea from the Trader, and instead of 21 tree's on it next year it will be 65 to 85. Saves on the leg work, it's there when you want it. We weren't getting much sap at first so i borrowed the tool from a friend to check my fittings, had 8 leaks, not bad doing it by hand. Now the barrel always has sap in it when it's running. 4 1/2 gallons of syrup and counting, our best year.

Hi Mitchman - When you have time could you give me some details and maybe a photo or two of your setup. We boiled today and made a gallon of dark syrup on 45 gals. of sap - reds as that's all I have for maples. Very good flavor though. Great day with lots of friends visiting and red hot dogs boiled in sap of course. Trees are still leaking slowly here. Clear and cold sap.
    275 oil tank evaporator
    2x4 flat pan
    made 5 gallons!
    2016 - 90 buckets
    same evaporator and pan
    50 buckets

I tap a lot of reds . They run great on vacuum , a bit finicky with gravity . makes great syrup .
    " A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."
    Mark Twain
    900 plus taps , 435 vacuum, 565 gravity
    2.5 x 10 Thor on Tsunami arch
    H2O Concentrater 300
    Squeezing Bees
    and
    Draining Trees
    Since 1980
    http://www.sparkyshoneyandmaple.com/about.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchman View Post
    Hey Bagpiper, My brother and I put a cooler vacuum system together, idea from the Trader, and instead of 21 tree's on it next year it will be 65 to 85. Saves on the leg work, it's there when you want it. We weren't getting much sap at first so i borrowed the tool from a friend to check my fittings, had 8 leaks, not bad doing it by hand. Now the barrel always has sap in it when it's running. 4 1/2 gallons of syrup and counting, our best year.
    I would also like to see what you have done. All reds on flat ground, most are already on lines. I'm going to set up something next year
    2014- 27 taps

Bagpiper, look into 3/16 line! You can put 20 taps on it and with a 2% grade and around a 6 foot drop into the holding tank my buddy is pulling 25 lbs of vaccume on the line and no power required. I am gonna run 3 strings of 20 taps each in our new sugar bush next year. Happy boiling!
    60 taps on 3/16

2x3 mason evaporator
    New 12x20 sugar house
    50 milk jugs

10 buckets
    10 years old and just learnin

+ Reply to Thread