+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 2x6 arch build

Just my 2 cents. Bolting will be fine. I would protect the angle. If your firing correctly then it will warp. As far as the angle around the door, insulate up to it.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

What's a good way to protect the angles at the stack base?

Screw blanket to it somehow.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

Google some pictures of factory arches, saw a smoky lake silverplate, and a Patrick Phaneuf evaporator that have a plate at the back of the evaporator that bolts to the arch and the base stack attaches to that. It looks pretty thick. I've got some 3/8 or 1/2" plate that I could weld my stack to then bolt it down. 3/8 wouldn't warp without being insulated would it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Google some pictures of factory arches, saw a smoky lake silverplate, and a Patrick Phaneuf evaporator that have a plate at the back of the evaporator that bolts to the arch and the base stack attaches to that. It looks pretty thick. I've got some 3/8 or 1/2" plate that I could weld my stack to then bolt it down. 3/8 wouldn't warp without being insulated would it?
    For comparison when I built my arch I used 1/4" plate, I welded bolts to the bottom and insulated with 1" blanket. I have ran 1500 degree stack temps and not had any warping issues.
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

I ended up using a 1/2" piece of plate steel for the base of the stack. I'm going to weld an angle to the front to rest against the pan. Maybe cover the under side of it with 1" blanket also and curl the blanket into the first 12" of stack to protect it.
    The door I salvaged from an old wood furnace is 13" x 13". It's double walled and has insulation in it already. I'm going to attach 1" blanket to it and install rope gasket around the flange to seal it up. The way I have it now the firebox is 27" high. I've just got the sheet of steel sitting in there now. I screwed up my measurements. I was hoping for 19-20" from grates to pan. Can I leave the bottom the way it is and insulate it and build it up with firebrick to my desired height and set my grates on that? I will end up having about a 6" ash door. I'm using a squirrel cage blower for AUF. No AOF for this year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678