+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Draft door opening?

Default Draft door opening?

I have an 18x60 Lapierre Junior. I read somewhere else in the forum that opening the draft door too wide may not be optimal. I leave mine open full. Can anybody suggest the science behind draft doors? Thanks.
    Bob Harris, @puslinchbob, since 2009
    400 taps in 2 very flat red maple bushes
    2 Sapguzzler vacuum pumps each with 200 taps
    30" x 96" Smoky Lake Silver Plate with pre-heat and auto drawoff
    Bombardier Traxter XT fitted with tracks pulling 400 litre tank

There's a fine line and depending on wood and other conditions, it changes often..open it too much, and you are introducing cold air into the fire box. Not enough and you may not get enough air for your fire. A lot of it depends on the draft you have in your system. On my Leader 2x6 with 16' of 12" stack - going straight up! - I keep it open about 1-1½" to start and then close up to 1/4" if we have good wood and a good boil going. Sometimes I crack it wide open if the wood's not the best or the boil is in need of a good kick in the pants. We also monitor stack temps, if they drop we crack it open a bit.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

John already answered the question. Remember the Fire Triangle? Heat, Fuel and Oxygen. For the event called Fire - these three things have to be in place. We can help them as we do in say - an Electric Generating Plant Boiler. The Fuel is Ground or atomized - preheated - and blown into the boiler ready to combust aided by hot combustion air. At the start - combustion is aided with spark gas igniters and possibly fuel oil torches if using pulverized coal. Once up to temperature the fire can sustain itself. My point is - everything possible is done to make an efficient fire. We - on the other hand - do what we can - as cheaply as we can. Actually - We do pretty good with what we have. I play with my draft door too. Kinda fun.
    Mike
    2x5 F.O. Tank Arch/Wood Fired
    2x5 Mark/Josh Custom Pans
    12 x 14 Sugar Shack
    55 Sure Taps - 100 Unsure Taps

Even with a fully open draft door there will be less air than using AUF so I would think leaving it open is your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    Even with a fully open draft door there will be less air than using AUF so I would think leaving it open is your best bet.
    I was thinking this, too. Using a fan to blow air into the firebox vs leaving the draft open.... can anyone explain the difference?

Most folks boil as fast as the rig will run. Good natural draft will boil right along. Your doing good!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

My 18x60 Lapierre has a blower mounted below the grates on the back side, and far out performs anything I do with the draft door with the fan off.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

im with wnybassman, when i added a blower to my 2x6 what a difference i made my AUF like the wood saver units in bascoms catalog i used a small pressure fan and 3 in grain auger pipe, welded it up, capped the pipe ends, took the plasma cutter and made 1 in long x 1/4 inch wide opens pointing up toward the bottom of the grates boy what a difference with a flip of the switch, before it was play with the draft door and get nothing else done between firings and yes the blower gave me a hotter fire and help reduce the wasting of wood from over firing to keep it rolling
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

+ Reply to Thread